Notices

Grumbling in low gears - weird!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2008, 08:37 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grumbling in low gears - weird!

Just the last week or so I've had a 'grumbling' when pulling off in 1st and 2nd gear that I can hear ever so slightly as a clattering sort of noise but definitely feel through the pedal as I pull away at low revs. Kind of like you feel ABS grinding away when you brake on gravel, the same sort of gritty feeling in your foot. Very weird. No problems once up to speed, no problems up in the midrange of the revs, just pulling away in 1st or 2nd and even then not all the time. I don't have any heatshields or original exhaust system so it's not that.

Probable causes?

I wondered if the engine mounts could be on the way out and if so, what kind of a job is it to change them? Jack up block, swap mounts, let block down again?
Old 07 February 2008, 10:15 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Anyone? I would get under there and check it out for myself - look at engine mounts, clutch/gearbox area etc. but I've just had an operation and can't crawl about. Any suggestions to help narrow things down and how to test stuff would really help. I've never had clutch judder before but could it be this? Surely it would happen in every gear when you take up drive, not just at low speed. I think I've tracked the rattling noise down to where my turbo outlet to FMIC pipe is touching slightly on the turbo's top heatshield since I worked on it last weekend. Hoping that tweaking that a little will solve the whole problem, but it's just worrying me because it doesn't sound or feel right when pulling away.
Old 08 February 2008, 08:45 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 09 February 2008, 11:53 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

So I guess I am the first person ever in the world to have this problem then?
Old 09 February 2008, 03:39 PM
snowyEJ20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to a fellow Wagoneer

I don't know if this will help you but my clutch judder only happens at very low revs and usually in 1st or 2nd gear. Never higher up. The feeling you're getting from the pedal, it sounds like its of a high frequency if its feeling like ABS. Have you checked the clutch system. There might be something coming lose which only shows itself when starting off as the clutch and 'box are generally under alot of stress having to get a ton of car moving...Just a thought
Old 09 February 2008, 04:17 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply. As I've never had the clutch judder problem before it's hard to say whether I have it now. It does feel like something in the drivetrain by the way I feel it in my feet. But on the other hand I hope it's something else. When I say it's like ABS, that's only in that I can actually feel it through the pedals. It's nowhere near as noticeable as the ABS pulse under your feet, but you definitely can hear it clattering away.

Soon as I can get out and look it over, I'll report back. CLutch judder has a pretty simple cure though doesn't it - give it a full bore standing start? It's an Exedy clutch and lightened flywheel on a rebuilt 752 box (all API) if that makes any difference.
Old 09 February 2008, 04:31 PM
snowyEJ20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't be getting any judder with that 'box setup so that probably rules that out... ...This is where it gets fun! Could it be a prop shaft or drive shaft being abit lose due to age? Since your 'box sounds like a good solid unit I'd be looking at components after that then or around the clutch pedal area. There is in car adjustment for the pedal if you wanna try that 1st.