Problem with MASSIVE OIL LEAK in WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2008, 04:47 PM
petervr6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with MASSIVE OIL LEAK in WRX

Hi Ladies and Gents!

First of all hi!!!!! Got myself a 2000 Bug eye WRX, low mileage, tip top condition! Had it for 3 days now, i did notice an oil leak when i purchased the car and knocked off £500 off the price.

HOWEVER

I booked the car in at the nearest Subaru garage for them to look at it for me, they cant do it for another couple of weeks. I thought it would be ok to drive with a lil oil leak, because it was not loosing alot of oil.

Last night on the way back from work i had some fun on the drive home, not going mad, but just having a play. No problems. Woke up this morning, checked the oil level and it has gone from F to below L in 2 days!!!! However there was only a little bit of oil on the drive, so it looks to me like it might be a pressure problem and has lost it on the road driving? I am not driving it at the mo for fear of oil starvation, although i have put some oil in to top it up again. its currently looking very nice sitting on the drive!

I had a local garage just have a peep under the bonnet, they said they couldnt see where the oil was coming from and would have to book it in. They said it looked like the oil was coming from the oil cooler, or oil pump, either way expensive because it involved removing most of the engine? does that sound correct?

Sorry for the long post, i am a very worried barnd new impreza owner! :-(

Any ideas peeps?

Thanks, Pete

Last edited by petervr6; 03 February 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04 February 2008, 06:53 PM
petervr6
Scooby Regular

no one? :-(
Old 04 February 2008, 08:59 PM
vortech
Scooby Newbie

Common suggestion on here seems to be the crank seals, best of luck.
Old 04 February 2008, 09:37 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi 'Petervr6', welcome to ScoobyNet. Sorry to hear you have a problem already, however, joining SN is probably the best thing you could of done. There is a mass of knowledgeable people on here, some quite opinionated, but, that's what forums are all about.

If it was your crank seal you would be able to see oil at the front of the engine more or less in the middle. In my experience this oil soon finds its way onto the exhaust and burns off. It does not take a lot of oil to smoke! You would see smoke coming from the front grill and certainly smell it once you park up. Also under your engine is a large panel that protects the underside of the engine. This can collect oil on it and it can take a while to drip off onto your drive. If you can remove this panel it 'may' help you locate the leak. If it is the crank seal then you will need to replace the cam belt at the same time. Don't risk driving it for now. Good luck