Notices

shocks and springs and idle air solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 09:05 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks and springs and idle air solenoids

he llo mateys...a couple of questions,,,firstly on my 99 turbo wagon it is reading error code 24,,, i beleive this is the idle air sensor/solenoid,,,are these expensive???and is it best not to buy from subaru???....Next question is im thinking of lowering my scooby and needed advice on whats best to use on a tightish budget...im running standard wheels and would like to see the very tops of the tyres disapear into the wheel arches .....cheers for any advice....
Old 11 January 2008, 09:19 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by festering
he llo mateys...a couple of questions,,,firstly on my 99 turbo wagon it is reading error code 24,,, i beleive this is the idle air sensor/solenoid,,,are these expensive???and is it best not to buy from subaru???....Next question is im thinking of lowering my scooby and needed advice on whats best to use on a tightish budget...im running standard wheels and would like to see the very tops of the tyres disapear into the wheel arches .....cheers for any advice....
Not sure what the code is but if it is Idle Air Control Valve, yes they are bloody expensive. IIRC around £250 from Subaru on a MY98. And you can't get them anywhere else either, so the only other choice is get one off a scrappy.

Can't advise on the lowering. I went for a more sensible drop on Eibachs, which a lot of others use.
Old 11 January 2008, 09:22 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silent running
Not sure what the code is but if it is Idle Air Control Valve, yes they are bloody expensive. IIRC around £250 from Subaru on a MY98. And you can't get them anywhere else either, so the only other choice is get one off a scrappy.

Can't advise on the lowering. I went for a more sensible drop on Eibachs, which a lot of others use.
250quids blimey..for a silly little thing like that....
Old 12 January 2008, 10:52 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. For a lot of classics, that could be 5 or more % of the value of the whole car! Hence not many people invest in new idle valves, instead blaming every other sensor or device that they can when they've got a simple idling problem. I think last time I bought one (which DID sort out my idling problem after I was told by countless people on here it MUST be the MAF) it cost me about £50 from a breaker. Of course, as these idle valves get older, we'll reach a point where we're all going to start having to buy new from Subaru because they'll all be knackered!