Notices

A classic Sti in Europe-What are the major differences between JDM - EURO - UK specs?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 12:08 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Question A classic Sti in Europe-What are the major differences between JDM - EURO - UK specs?

What are the major differences between, UK classic, a Euro Classic, a WRX and Sti?

The reason I ask is that I will spend more of my time driving in Europe than I will in the UK.

So need your help to tell me what the differences are?

SENARIO 1
So hypotheticaly if something broke whilst say on the Austrian border and I pitched up with my Sti V4 - would the local the dealership scratch their heads and say we dont have the parts for that because the majority of the parts for this car are very different to our standard Euro 2.0 turbo?

SENARIO 2
So hypotheticaly if something broke whilst say on the Austrian border and I pitched up with my WRX V4 - would the local the dealership scratch their heads and say we dont have the parts for that because the majority of the parts for this car are very different to our standard Euro 2.0 turbo?

SENARIO 3
So hypotheticaly if something broke whilst say on the Austrian border and I pitched up with my modified UK classic - would the local the dealership say most of the parts on this are the same as our standard Euro 2.0 turbo - no problem we can fix it?

I really want another jap import classic. However is a modified UK car a safer bet (as it is closer to a standard Euro 2.0 turbo)?

How big are the differences in terms of parts for these cars. (I know diffs are usually different and gearboxes) ?

Is a Euro 2.0 turbo in standard form a very similar spec to a UK 2.0 turbo in standard form. Taking diffs as an example - does a Euro classic use the same ones as a UK classic - I assume so? Always dangerous to assume though

Thanks for any input
Steve

The answers to this really define what my next scoob we be
Old 08 January 2008, 12:50 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mainland europe the classic WRX / STI was never avalible, i would say that most dealers would have real problem getting parts that differ from a normal UK Turbo.

I can only really comment on Germany, but over here you can take a newage STI to the smaller dealerships and they will look at you with the "thats a subaru " face. Here there are about 5-6 dealerships that are recognised by Subaru Germany as real "turbo" dealerships, 2-3 of those really know there stuff on the mechanical side, 1-2 of them will go out of his way to find parts from Japan for the Classic/Newage STI.

The UK/Euro turbo should be the same, although i have no idea in how far a WRX from a UK Turbo differs mechanicaly.
The dealer would also have no way in finding out part nrīs from the Subaru software as the chassis nr from a classic WRX or STI is usless here.

hope that helps.

Last edited by Lee_1075; 08 January 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08 January 2008, 01:22 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Lee
I am spend alot of time in Germany - so that is usefull (and Kinda what I expected to hear in a way)
I think that rules out a classic Sti then.

Mechanical differences between say hypothetically MY98 WRX and a MY98 UK. Are they that great or fairly similar? Anyone?

Steve
Old 08 January 2008, 10:05 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Another question for you:
Will the car stay UK registered or will it be registered in the country your staying in?

If the latter of the both a classic sti would cost you thousends too get registered over here as it doesnt exist.

Although i do know of 1 22B, a Type R and a STI Wagon that are registered here, i could also help you out with giving you two addresses of the dealers that will help you with a classic STI.
Old 08 January 2008, 02:18 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

I will PM you Lee.

How big are the differences between a Classic WRX and A UK in terms of parts.Minor or major. Anyone?
Old 08 January 2008, 04:40 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

hi guys! i've an sti v3 1997 v-limited sport wagon and till v3 wrx and sti shares lot of parts from both uk, euro and jdm!
as for exemple, radiator, driveshafts (v1-v3 wrx/sti/uk same), coil packs, ignition leads, plugs, and other parts, but be sure before ordering a part in europe, just have a check to your subaru mechanic/dealer
hope this help
Cheers

Daniel
Old 08 January 2008, 08:22 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thanks fella
Old 08 January 2008, 09:42 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Pm back at you Steve.
Old 08 January 2008, 09:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Basically its the gearboxes and rear diffs on the imports that are different

Taking the MY98 as your example

import (WRX or STI) will have different diffs, all 3 of them different ratios to an EU. However a UK classic (any classic bar P1 and 22B) will have the same ratio box and diff as an EU model.

WRX and EU/UK cars have the same long engine, but the STI is different

Essentially EU is a UK car, except one major difference - where you sit to drive it
Old 09 January 2008, 04:58 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Basically its the gearboxes and rear diffs on the imports that are different

Taking the MY98 as your example

import (WRX or STI) will have different diffs, all 3 of them different ratios to an EU. However a UK classic (any classic bar P1 and 22B) will have the same ratio box and diff as an EU model.

WRX and EU/UK cars have the same long engine, but the STI is different

Essentially EU is a UK car, except one major difference - where you sit to drive it
Perfect answer
Cheers
Steve
Old 10 January 2008, 07:35 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

I used many parts from the JDM/UK STIs in my classic EU WRX MY00!
So if you are looking for standard parts like gaskets, exhaust, intercooler and other ancillarys you should be fine, until it comes to gearboxes, reardiffs, heads or ECU!!!
Most dealers for example wonīt know, that you can use a classic ECU in an STI and backwards, only have to change the crankshaftcables... thatīs a bit specific and no german or austrian dealer really needs to know this, as it is more than unusual that a classic STI will turn up here, but sometimes it might happen!

Hope that helps you as well!