Notices

Do I need a sports cat downpipe? From where?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2008, 01:14 PM
JAM35F
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a sports cat downpipe? From where?

I am just about to buy a UK2000 classic turbo (Wplate). At present it has a full magnex exhaust system on it with no cats at all. The dealer said he would supply a standard centre cat with the car saying that come MOT time all I have to do is mention to the friendly MOT station that I have one and it will be passed. I don't really believe this so would rather be legal all the time.

As the standard cat wont fit onto the Magnex system what do I need? Do I need a sports cat pipe to replace my decat downpipe from the engine? (I know nothing about exhausts so may have the terms wrong)

Will this pass an MOT?

If so where can I get one, how much do they cost and how much roughly should I expect to pay to get it fitted?

Thanks, apologies for a probably obvious question but I am new to scoobys and all the exhaust terms/mods that go with them!
Old 04 January 2008, 10:27 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you have been told is about right and also what alot of people do to get the car through the test.

If you have a magnex 2.5" system then the centre section can be taken out and the standard centre with CAT will fit straight in.

I would try this and if it doesn't pass then deal with buying a sports cat.

Wayne.
Old 05 January 2008, 12:39 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can handle the cost of a sports cat downpipe (mine was from Graham Goode) then that's the way to go, then you've got no worries. Mine's been through the new computerised MOT 2 years now without a problem, or any other cats in the system.