Fuel Pump Wires burnt !

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2007, 03:14 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Wires burnt !

Hi All,
Just like to share something I think is interesting. My car is WRX Ver 4,with STi yellow injectors and hi flow fuel pump from Power, Japanese brand. For a period of 3 months, my car RPM has been behaving rather strangely, RPM needle flickers from 3 to 6k rpm instantaneously whenever I floor the pedal on 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear shift. Then just last week, my lambda link was show weak ratio and car was jerking as if it was starving of fuel. Never have this problem before. I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and this reduces the jerk as engine rpm increases. Engine fuel regulator is an adjustable SARD.I began to suspect either fuel pump or/and fuel regulator was the cause of this fuel starvation. Managed to remove my hi flow fuel pump from Power from the fuel tank and to my horror, both the pump live and earth wires were badly burnt till the pump connector. Pump and the wires are all immersed in fuel and this probably prevented the wires from catching fire. I refitted the original fuel pump and fuel starvation all gone including RPM needle flickering.
Maybe what happened to my Power fuel pump is just a “one off” case but if any of you fitted Power fuel pump, suggest you guys have a look at the wiring should you have the similar symptoms on your car. Installing this Power fuel pump to our WRX require to install an extension wire for the earth and live wire in order to run the pump. Extension wires and connector supplied by Power pump. This particular pump has been fitted to my car for about 7 yrs.
Anyone has any comment or advice on this?
Chan