Notices

Girl without a clue needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2007, 01:36 PM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl without a clue needs your help!

Hey guys! I really need your help! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas & you have a happy new year!

My P-reg classic impreza turbo has got a few problems & before I take it to the gargage I just wondered if you could give me a bit of advise?!

There are a few problems:

1) I get a terrible lack of power in the mornings until the car warms up. Sounds like it's gona stall but as long as you keep the revvs high its ok, it pops & bangs a bit & you can hear its not running right & then suddenly it will go. It seems to do this on really cold mornings & in the rain?! I have cleaned the MAF sensor out as it was all gunky & that helped for ages but now it has started doing it again. Im worried that it's the turbo or something. Is there a way of knowing when the turbo is on it's way out?!

2)I am having a nightmare with the immobiliser, I have changed the battery in the fob but it hasn't helped. Every now & again it won't open or lock which then means I can't disable the immobiliser. I know it is a common problem with the classics, something to do with radio requency or something, but just wondered if there is anything I can do about it?!

Thanks!

x
Old 27 December 2007, 01:45 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Hi does your car have an induction kit/cone filter ? rather than the standard airbox.
Old 27 December 2007, 01:48 PM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Hey! To be honest I have no idea hehe! It has got a forge dump valve on it?
Old 27 December 2007, 01:52 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Bolted to the maf housing should be a big black plastic box with a filter inside it or a induction fiter cotten/foam/mesh cone shaped thing!!
Old 27 December 2007, 02:00 PM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H4RDY-P1
Bolted to the maf housing should be a big black plastic box with a filter inside it or a induction fiter cotten/foam/mesh cone shaped thing!!
I'm at work at the mo so I can't go out & look at it, but I am sure there is a plastic black box under the bonnett some where! Sorry to sound like such a girl! At least I am honest!
Old 27 December 2007, 02:43 PM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

if you can take a picture of under the bonnet and post it up, this may help out a little

dave
Old 27 December 2007, 02:56 PM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DAVE26
if you can take a picture of under the bonnet and post it up, this may help out a little

dave
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help! I know it's hard to answer questions over the internet, especially when the person posting them doesn't really know a great deal about cars haha! I will do my best to take a pic & post it up! Just for the record, I work in a truck garage & know more about trucks! Hehe!
Old 27 December 2007, 04:28 PM
coddy2200
Scooby Regular

Hey up Scoobyness,

Which truck garage do you work at???? Cos i work at Scania in Normanton (Yorkshire).

Like they've said earlier, post a pic of engine if you can to see if induction kit is fitted.....this may be a reason contributing to why car might not be running correct.....a lot of people on here will tell you they're no good for car.....especially MAF!
Old 28 December 2007, 08:59 AM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coddy2200
Hey up Scoobyness,

Which truck garage do you work at???? Cos i work at Scania in Normanton (Yorkshire).

Like they've said earlier, post a pic of engine if you can to see if induction kit is fitted.....this may be a reason contributing to why car might not be running correct.....a lot of people on here will tell you they're no good for car.....especially MAF!

Hey Coddy!

I know a few people at Scania Normanton haha - small world hey! They are all very nice there & we always have a laugh when I ring up!! I work at TruckEast Stowmarket! Hope you have a Happy New Year!
Old 28 December 2007, 11:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hi cant help with the first part of your question but i used to fit alarms so here goes! could do with a bit more info but theres a couple of things for you to try. might sound stupid but if its a radio frequency problem its most likley that there is some sort of transmitter near you especially if it happens in the same place presuming that as you said you changed the battery for a good one cause this could still be the problem ie new battery is also crap there should be an led on the fob and as long as this is working then well assume batt is ok! back to the stupid bit if its not responding dont keep pressing the button harder and faster as this will only jam the receiver and crack the circuite board of the remote! point the remote under under your chin and actually make contact with your skin! yes i know it sounds stupid! but your using your body as a antenna and strenthening the signal to over come any other signal that is disrupting it. and for any non-believers out there go to the limit of your remotes distance of opperation then stick it under your chin and press!( i rest my case) right back to the problem if this doesnt work and your remotes opperation is still intermittant take the cover off as you would to replace the battery the circuite board inside should clip out (be gentle) inspect it very carefully its like looking fo a needle in a hay stack but there might be a hairline fracture arround the base of the button usually due to someone trying to push the button out the back of the remote when it wont dissarm if the light comes on then its working! squeezing the life out of the remote wil not help!unless the board is cracked then twisting and pressing the remote can help it make contact and opperate.but dont keep pressing it over and over wait a few seconds between presses if the board is cracked you should be able to get a replacement from a reputable alarm dealer..
Old 28 December 2007, 02:27 PM
ScoobyNess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
hi cant help with the first part of your question but i used to fit alarms so here goes! could do with a bit more info but theres a couple of things for you to try. might sound stupid but if its a radio frequency problem its most likley that there is some sort of transmitter near you especially if it happens in the same place presuming that as you said you changed the battery for a good one cause this could still be the problem ie new battery is also crap there should be an led on the fob and as long as this is working then well assume batt is ok! back to the stupid bit if its not responding dont keep pressing the button harder and faster as this will only jam the receiver and crack the circuite board of the remote! point the remote under under your chin and actually make contact with your skin! yes i know it sounds stupid! but your using your body as a antenna and strenthening the signal to over come any other signal that is disrupting it. and for any non-believers out there go to the limit of your remotes distance of opperation then stick it under your chin and press!( i rest my case) right back to the problem if this doesnt work and your remotes opperation is still intermittant take the cover off as you would to replace the battery the circuite board inside should clip out (be gentle) inspect it very carefully its like looking fo a needle in a hay stack but there might be a hairline fracture arround the base of the button usually due to someone trying to push the button out the back of the remote when it wont dissarm if the light comes on then its working! squeezing the life out of the remote wil not help!unless the board is cracked then twisting and pressing the remote can help it make contact and opperate.but dont keep pressing it over and over wait a few seconds between presses if the board is cracked you should be able to get a replacement from a reputable alarm dealer..
Hiya! Thank you sooo much for your help, I will have a look at my fob & promise not to squeeze it too hard haha! I wonder how many people will try the thing with holding it under your chin lol! I am gona tell everyone I know to do it hehe! Will let cha know the outcome! Hope you have a Happy New Year!
Old 28 December 2007, 07:07 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

my alarm played up once the circuit unit in the fob wasent a tight fit ti the plastic case packed it with a bit of cardboard never had a problem again
Old 31 December 2007, 11:53 AM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

acoobyness ull be surprised about the chin thing
my wife still says im a dingy for doing it lol
think about the brais is 1 big transeiver init

and are your problems still there ?

the alarm problem was a recall from subaru back at the time of manuf im afraid
i rung when i had my P1 that was doing it all the time lol
did my head it
but if u know the pin number for the glove box keypad you can turn the alarm off this way

where u based anyways

im in leeds
i dont mind taking a look at the engine problem side of things for you

dave
Old 31 December 2007, 02:53 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

my X reg classic had the alarm problem when i used to park in my old works car park... was REALLY annoying...but (as has been mentioned) it is radio frequency issue so theres not alot you can really do

The holding the key to your head idea actually works! I tried it after seeing Clarkson do it on Top Gear lol