Notices

dccd settings on type ra v2 help

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2007, 11:14 AM
gartracnick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dccd settings on type ra v2 help

hi guys just bought me a type ra v2, love the car but had a bit of a moment yesterday lol, i was going round a damp roundabout at prob only 30mph gave a little throttle and as soon as there was any sign of the turbo the back end slid round. this shocked me a bit as i have driven turbo 2000 scoobs before at full pelt round wet roundabouts and only experienced understeer lol. is this usual, is the ra a bit of an animal in the wet, or will it be the same in the dry. dccd was set in the bottom position so would be sendin power to the rear wheels.whatsetting do people usually put the dccd i for certain conditions,
if someone could give me a breif overview of the different settings and what u would use em for that would be great.
another point is the tyres on the car are dunlop sport 9000, 205/50/16. are these any good or a pile of poo.
also any drivin techniques to stop me going into a hedge backwards would be helpful lol.
any1 know what turbo is used on this model and what sort of hp its capable of.
cheers and sorry for all the questions.
Old 10 December 2007, 06:54 PM
silverwrxnor
Scooby Regular

An early JDM RA/R with DCCD is a completly different thing to drive than a eupean GT/WRX. Its extremly snappy in the wet, as you have experienced.

I reccomend that yoy place the diff inn full lock (or more lock). Here we have alot of snow, and going flatout without dccd in full lock is hazadrous on a type1 dccd. Have had a 95 STI v2 type RA, 98 STI v4, WRXes, and now a 05STI (with dccd). The JDM "GT" Dccds are dangerous if you arent aware, no wonder they only was sold in Japan. The tail comes so quickly i have almost bent my Type R on wet/snowy conditions. So try full lock.

Basically, drving a type1 dccd gives you ca 35%front/65%rear power. Shifting the dccd wheel to larger lock would max give you more power to the front wheel, max 50%/50%. You basically move more power to the front wheel the more dccd lock you choose.

In "full lock" you would also gain more braking power (as R/RAs comes without ABS, they are ticky to manage to brake on slippery surface and DCCD in "open") because all 4wheeels lock up if you lock one wheel in DCCD LOCK mode. On ice tracks its extremly efficient, and I have lapped in a technical wet circuit just as fast lap times in a std type R compared to std euro GTs can in the dry.

The dccd is dagerous if not aware of this. Full attack= more Lock.

The MY05 DCCD however, is fastest in AUTO (steering angle , yaw control ang G sensor dccd computer). And full lock on my 05 just give the car more tricky to drive. Opposite to the early DCCDs.
Old 10 December 2007, 07:40 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Yep, I did the same thing when I got my car. Power over steer at 60mph round a wet sweeping corner, was not what I was used to.
Full lock should only be used on snow/loose gravel. For wet roads I use first orange when pushing on.
In the dry, full open or second green is enough. You'll only get over steer in tight 2nd gear( maybe 3rd) stuff accelerating hard.

Just experiment with different settings.

Tyres are decent I reckon.
Turbo is a TD05 16G (std), good for up to around 350bhp with the correct supporting mods.