Notices

Turbo Induction Hose Questions - Nice Pics too

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2007, 06:47 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Induction Hose Questions - Autobahn 88

Ok, I have bought the hose below from ebay for £45 as my standard hose is ripped and I am due to remove the manifold soon anyway.

Has anyone got an opinion on this hose, preferably from experience rather than hearsay? I have heard of a few collapsing under full boost thats all and have seen a couple of pics where jubilee clips have been used to hold the hose open.

After inspecting it, it seems very tough and very difficult to compress. The aluminium hose connections are a little loose and are only held in place by the pressure of the hose. The aluminium ring at the entry of the hose seems to impose a large lip that has got to disrupt the air flow.

A couple of questions now,

1) What I am thinking about doing is removing the 2 breather hose connections and the vacuum feed, just leaving the dump valve connection and ISCV connection. What would people recommend using to blank off the holes?

2) I am hoping to provide a nice clean path into the entry of the hose by porting the alumium ring. Any thoughts on this?

The pics

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 25 December 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03 December 2007, 07:32 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

customer used one (steel 2.0, 20g, Apexi, etc.), that we kept 'open' via jubilee clips as you mention.......did seem to give various issues as if it still collapsed, and was replaced with a pukka Samco version shortly after

alyn
Old 03 December 2007, 08:04 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Was it this brand of hose too?

I'm hoping that my power level doesn't effect it as much.

Any pics of where you placed the clips Alyn?

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 04 December 2007, 08:10 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

yep, identical hose..............

from meory we placed 3/4 clips on the main body of the hose where it goes under the manifold, bit of a juggle to ensure they clear

alyn
Old 04 December 2007, 09:30 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Aftermarket hoses are generally not a good idea, they are prone to collapsing and often have poor airflow characteristics (as with the RCM part on the Scoobynet spec-C project car) that can lead to compressor surge.

Stick with a tried and tested and proven part!

Simon
Old 04 December 2007, 11:02 AM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

i have this one on my car running an IHI VF22 turbo and havent had any problems yet
Old 04 December 2007, 11:54 AM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

horses for courses, but you wont know untill you try it and if with no success buy a samco one.

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2007, 11:57 AM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

how much is the samco one, prob about 4 times the price lol
Old 04 December 2007, 12:39 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I paid £60 for the samco onr off ebay

Banny
Old 04 December 2007, 12:46 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

and wots the diff between the samco one and the autobahn one?
Old 04 December 2007, 12:58 PM
AL99
Scooby Regular

I bought one of these and sent it back the same day it arrived!!

the metal hose inserts were just glued in (poorly) - each time I tried to connect a breather pipe they just pushed through..

I have no experience of the samco, but I reckon these AB88 ones are poor.
just my experience.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:04 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

didnt have that problem with mine at all all aluminium connectors were good and strong.

ah well time will tell lol
Old 04 December 2007, 01:16 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

i paid over £220 for my hybrid samco inlet pipe from rcm there not cheap by no means but there awesome quality.

i only used mine for 900miles due to further mods, so i have one surplus to requirements.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:24 PM
Herry Monster
Scooby Newbie

I may be able to help here.

I used to work in the silicone production industry.

All the materials used to produce them are sourced from the EU and samco produce them in the UK. It only takes a few days to ship the chemicals etc needed so the whole process can take 1 week from getting the bits/chemicals from the EU, shipping to the UK and then production.

The problem with Autobahn88 and other such brands are they are made in china and surrounding places. This has a dramatic impact on the final product. The chemicals used and rubber types only have a life expectancy on around a week. Its takes 6 weeks or so for them to source this from the EU so by the time they get hold of it its already lost some of its vital properties. To softern it up they remelt it all and add a plastic substance. Think of it like chewing gum. You leave it out in the air and it goes hard. Now what would the consistency by like if you took this hard gum, remelted it and then reset it. Not very good!! Thats why the cheap makes from china smell different and often collapse and fail under extreme conditions - they just arent made correct!
Old 04 December 2007, 04:31 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

bought one of these cheep hoses from flat4online when it finaley arrived i thought it looked nice when i got round to fittin it well that was a totally different matter what a piece of cheep crap it was. firstly all the inserts kept pushing inside the pipe, the end where my air filter pipe originaly clamped on wouldnt because the end on the pipe was too big then to say the whole fitment around the inlet manifold and onto the turbo was crap is an undestatement.eventually i got hold of it ripped it out and through it straight in the bin.i got straght on the phone to rcms and ordered a samco one which was at my door first thing the next day it took me around half an hour to put on and fit perfect everything clamped up like it should,yes the first one was 75 quid and the samco 230 odd quid but until uve sampled them both ide say it was worth every penny
Old 04 December 2007, 07:11 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

how did you fit it in half an hour? did you not have to take the inlet manifold off? took me a few hours to do mine is there a trick i missed out on?
Old 04 December 2007, 08:30 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Yikes!!

Probably going to be some arguments about this one then!

Ok, my thoughts so far are these.

I will probably run with a couple of jubilee clips in place to keep things open on boost. I am already going to lose the breather and vacuum tubes and block them off. This will then only leave the ISCV connection and the dump valve port which is a very sturdy fit already.

As I have another car as my daily hack, then I am going to fit this and see what happens. If it all turns to poo then I can quite easily remove the manifold and fit another inlet pipe, so no hassle there.

Just need to mention that there is absolutely no way I am parting with anything like £150 for an inlet pipe. I will obtain a second hand standard pipe if this is the case.

Thanks for the views and advice.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 04 December 2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:18 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j16jrf
how did you fit it in half an hour? did you not have to take the inlet manifold off? took me a few hours to do mine is there a trick i missed out on?
would probably take a couple hours if you had to take the inlet manifold off,as i needed to re wrap my headers again all i did was drop the headers down so that the turbo was free to move, then undo the power steerin pump, pull it to one side as the new pipe is rubber an pretty flexible you can just manage to push it through under the inlet manifold fix it to the turbo,bolt ya power steerin pump back up an job done apart from wrappin me headers an boltin them back up but thats ajob i needed to do anyway.
Old 25 December 2007, 09:50 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Got it fitted the other day.

Here's the low down.

Blocked off the aluminium tubes where the breathers go in the pipe. I used some bolts and araldite to make a better seal. The aluminium tubes themselves do indeed need glueing into the hose as they would come loose far too easily.

The most worrying part is that the hose connection closest to the inlet, which normaly feeds the purge valve? is able to be pressed all the way through and into the tube. This has been sorted by using a washer with an interference fit over the part that fits inside the hose.

I have placed 2 jubilee clips on the middle section and the first section of the main hose. Hopefully these will help to stop the hose collapsing. I have noticed that the hose itslef is 4 ply to start with and needs an extreme amount of force to get it anywhere near to closing up.

That said, how does it fit?

Well, its a complete pain. The fitment under the manifold isn't good. The fuel rails need to be moved away from the manifold and the brackets that would fasten them in place need to be cut away.

The rubber dump valve hose between the hose and metal pipe needs to shortened and does not fit as well as OE.

The metal insert into the inlet can be binned. Its way to big for the OE or my Samco hose to fit over. I have employed a thin walled 3" dia stainless pipe to connect the pipes together. I also had to cut down the hose between the MAF and hose as the new inlet hose is longer here too.

When refitting the manifold the power steering res needed removing from the car. There was simply no room to get the hose over the turbo.

The water pipe that runs from one side of the engine to the other fouls the hose and there is nothing that can be done about that. You simply have to bolt it down under pressure and live with it.

It does however seem to drive ok. There is a subtle noise change that can be heard inside the car that really isn't bad. Have not had it on boost yet but will report back.

Anyway, would I recommend this hose? Not unless you want all the problems that come with it, go for a tried and tested hose.

Here's a pic fitted.

Old 26 December 2007, 11:01 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ok, been for a run tonight and its all fine.

I did have to raise the duty profile on my AVCR as it would not achieve 1.4bar at first.

No symptoms of the hose collapsing at all. Nice and smooth all the way to 7k.

Remembering that I was replacing a damaged hose then I'm quite pleased. Wouldn't buy one otherwise.

Wayne.
Old 27 December 2007, 10:55 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Wayne, you've give a pretty fair assessment of it - what I found is pretty much exactly the same as what I did - even down to using a 3" alloy joiner at the MAF end. At least I'm not out on my own in thinking that paying £200 for a bit of silicone hose is ridiculous.

I've had an Autobahn hose recently, it definitely flowed a lot more air than the standard OE hose, which broke, hence why I replaced it. A new one from Subaru is well into three figures IIRC and so is a 'proper' make like Samco or SFS, so it's Autobahn 88, or second hand, for a lot of people with classics to maintain - like me.

But surprise surprise; the OE pipe (my second one which I fitted because my Autobahn was giving me surge problems) has 'gone' at the turbo end and the plastic breather connection on top has snapped off.

So if you want to replace your broken inlet pipe, the Autobahn will do the job, cheaply, with a bit of graft.
Old 27 December 2007, 11:36 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

What did the surge feel like? I'm only asking as mine seems just as smooth as before, using the OE pipe. I dont think there is any surge.

Did you use any jubilee clips to support the centre section of hose?
Old 27 December 2007, 01:20 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Wayne you would know what surge felt like if you had it!,it's really noticable in 5th gear when trying to bring the boost in slow,it causes the whole car to judder!!!!if i just floor the car it pulls through it,try teasing the boost in slowly and see if it does it then, i think its linked with using front mount coolers mainly though.
Old 27 December 2007, 02:13 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

I too refuse to pay 3 figures for an inlet hose so I fitted one of these inlet hoses and I did not incounter any of the problems you guys describe.

I did not have to cut off any brackets or remove the power steering resevoir and it fitted pretty well under the inlet manifold. The hardest bit I found was getting the inlet maniflod to sit down properly without damaging the new gaskets I had fitted.

My car was mapped by Richard Bulmer from Tracktive and there were no collapsing issues when mapping or since.

Old 27 December 2007, 02:27 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

had mine on for a few eeks now and STILL no problems

and gotts love the way it looks tucked under the inlet manifold just adding a nice bit of colour to the engine bay

Cupradave your engine bay is gorgeous, just nicely done and the black against the red is a really tidy touch too.
Old 27 December 2007, 02:35 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j16jrf
Cupradave your engine bay is gorgeous, just nicely done and the black against the red is a really tidy touch too.
Cheers fella
Old 27 December 2007, 04:00 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

some pics of mine

no jubilee clips holding it open and so far has been grand up to 1.2 bar
Old 27 December 2007, 04:44 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraDave
I too refuse to pay 3 figures for an inlet hose so I fitted one of these inlet hoses and I did not incounter any of the problems you guys describe.

I did not have to cut off any brackets or remove the power steering resevoir and it fitted pretty well under the inlet manifold. The hardest bit I found was getting the inlet maniflod to sit down properly without damaging the new gaskets I had fitted.

My car was mapped by Richard Bulmer from Tracktive and there were no collapsing issues when mapping or since.

Do you have the fuel pipes under the manifold modded? If not then these DO need bending and repositioning. The brackets that hold these to the manifold are the ones I cut away.

Also, there is no way that you dont' have to modify the dump valve connection that goes from the inlet pipe to the metal pipe. It's just all wrong in terms of length and positioning.

My inlet hose that goes from the MAF to the new Autobahn hose would not fit over. Neither would my old OE hose. I don't know what you have fitted but mine just wont.

Wayne.

PS, not wanting to start arguments but what I posted is fact as per fitting to my own MY98 WRX.
Old 27 December 2007, 04:58 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

you can see my pic of the underside of the inlet manifold with the fule lines in place, no modifications had to be made.

I had to make no modifications to the pipe at all to fit it.
Old 27 December 2007, 05:05 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

not disputing what you are saying in your post dude, chill!! I am just saying I had none of the hassle you seem to have had.

My car is a MY98 WRX also. My car was totally standard when I bought it, all mods have been fitted by me. And no cutting or whatever was done to get this inlet pipe to fit to fit on my car. I obviously had to remove the inlet manifold from the car and then remove the fuel rails from it, I then slotted the inlet hose into the manifold and then simply replaced the rails and pipes back to where they came from, as I said before I found the hardest part to be getting the manifold to sit down properly without damaging their gaskets.

Although our cars are of the same model and year they obviously differ somewhat

Quick Reply: Turbo Induction Hose Questions - Nice Pics too