Notices

P1 advice with 98/95 RON petrol

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 03:51 PM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since gettin my p1 (first scooby in all), i've been sticking to filling up with 98 RON at the local BP, but last nite, the petrol light came on, so got alittle concerned with how much petrol I had left, as I was a few miles from home.

1st q: How many roughly (give or take) miles can be done, when the light comes on? considering the car is not being stressed at all, 4th gear 35-40 mph.. etc..

2nd q : I got the first station (Fina one) and put in a fivers worth of 95 Ron fuel, (didn't have any 98ron), I've heard rummours about the ECU setting itself new variables, on lower octane fuel, and thus lowering the total output... Would it have done this by now? Would it be a good idea to fill a full tank with 98 ron now? ie mix it with the 95 ron stuff?

edited to say, is there a very big difference between 98 ron fuel and Shell Optimax?? price is very similar i think!

thanks for any info.

T

[Edited by Tinsta - 1/14/2002 3:52:34 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 04:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

First of all, BP fuel is 97 RON not 98. No one has confirmed this talk of 98 and they have not advertised it anywhere. Optimax is a good idea with a rating of 98.6 according to shell.

Your ecu is a learning ecu and being of the later type will quickly retard the ignition if it detects any knock which might occur if pushing hard with a lower octane fuel. To my knowledge the P1 is safe on this fuel but will run better on a higher octane as you will not be able to run as much ignition advance and so power output will be lower.

if you dont boot it with the lesser quality fuel in, I cant imagine it will det and so the ecu will not re adjust itself to compensate for knock as it wont see any. Puting optimax in now would be a good idea, and the ecu should compensate of its own accord in time. If concerned about losing performance in the meantime, disconnect the battery for five mins then reconnect and it will learn afresh.

Teh subaru tank is around 60 litres, to my knowledge the light comes on at the 9 or ten litre mark. Roughly you have 1 fifth of he distance you have already travelled left in the tank. It should see you for around 40 miles or so, but it is best not to chance it if you can avoid to.
Old 14 January 2002, 04:12 PM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

thanx for the info Adam,

Swear I've seen Super Unleaded 98 Ron labelled at the new BP Connect stations? going to double check next time..Will try the optimax when i get home.

Cheers