Notices

STi vs standard panel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2007, 09:35 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default STi vs standard panel filter

Hi, have read all the posts on this topic and know that tests were done and the STi filter did not make the most power on the dyno, but what is the deal on the road. I have an STi panel filter, had it for about a year and always thought it was better than the standard.

Read all the stuff on here and so changed it for a standard one last week, just to see. I have to say that i am sure that the STi one gives better throttle response and lets the car breath better. Induction noise ios quieter with standard one in and the car also feels a bit sluggish to come on boost. Have cleaned the old Sti filter the best I can and have now put it back and have to say that it is so much better than the new standard one. Has anyone else git any view on this, regarding drivability - not power. As I am sure the Sti is better, and am now going to order a new one - or is it all in my head, and I should just put the standard one back in and the old Sti one in the bin!

Cheers Ade
Old 11 November 2007, 09:43 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ade_sti
Hi, have read all the posts on this topic and know that tests were done and the STi filter did not make the most power on the dyno, but what is the deal on the road. I have an STi panel filter, had it for about a year and always thought it was better than the standard.

Read all the stuff on here and so changed it for a standard one last week, just to see. I have to say that i am sure that the STi one gives better throttle response and lets the car breath better. Induction noise ios quieter with standard one in and the car also feels a bit sluggish to come on boost. Have cleaned the old Sti filter the best I can and have now put it back and have to say that it is so much better than the new standard one. Has anyone else git any view on this, regarding drivability - not power. As I am sure the Sti is better, and am now going to order a new one - or is it all in my head, and I should just put the standard one back in and the old Sti one in the bin!

Cheers Ade
I'm pretty sure Subaru Technica International wouldn't have fit it in the first place if it wasn't better than the standard filter.

Now whether it is better on your car is a different story.
Old 11 November 2007, 09:47 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Totally agree mate, but would it not make sense that on every impreza it would be better than the standard?
Old 11 November 2007, 10:02 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Well yes and no,

If you've a standard set up than it probably would be better. Like you say, better air flow, better throttle responce. If a car has been mapped to the standard filter then a higher flow filter maybe more of a hinder than a help.

I have fitted a Green WRC cotton weave TSL filter which s suppose to be the only panel filter better than the standard STi panel filter (newage) and AndyF did comment at the high air flow the car had. Not sure if that was good or bad
Old 11 November 2007, 10:14 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

car running about 290 bhp /299 torque on prosports rollers last year, so must be mapped. It was owned by a guy who worked at prodrive so god know what was done to it habe owned it for 2 years,- on standard turbo, just decats and hks system - what you saying is that if the filter has better air flow but if the car has not been mapped to this then would not run as well with standard filter? Whould the ecu compensate for small changes in airflow, mixture, even if mapped?

Last edited by ade_sti; 11 November 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added a bit
Old 11 November 2007, 10:25 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Yea, I'd guess your car would compensate for small changes like that. I think its more to do with cone filters and CAI kits that affect more.

If the car was set up right on the edge for a standad filter, then putting a higher flow filter would cause a lean mixture, iirc the early import wrx were bad for that wit them being tuned on 102 fuel, on 98 fuel over here, they ran ok if they were bog standard but put an exhaust and filter on, they'd go POP!

How much is a genuine STi filter? You can get a TSL Green WRC for about £30ish
Old 11 November 2007, 10:31 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

I had my filter on for over a year and car has run ace. The filters cost bewteen £45 - 60 depending where you go, but only last 12 - 15 k though then need to be put in the bin.

Would get the car on a dyno and get tests with both, but can't be bothered. Is the filter that you have dry or oiled?

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2007, 10:39 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

It is lightly oil
Old 11 November 2007, 10:40 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, will have a look at this - just a pain having an 00 model with crap maf.
Old 11 November 2007, 10:48 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

not sure what all this is about the sti panel filter,it was the first thing i changed on my my00 sti ,it was just a paper filter,replaced it with a k&n
Old 11 November 2007, 11:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "uprated" STi panel filter isnt your normal paper one, you will definately see the difference as it has mesh over the outside.
We tried one out when I owned my spec c, car only had a couple of thousand miles on the clock, ran the car 2 times without the filter (car was running optimax and octane booster) and then changed the filter on the rollers (car was still running so heatsoak ) and she pushed another 12bhp and 15lbs of torque, improvement above 6.5k where on the standard filter she seemed to struggle, that changed after that and she revved freely to
Let you make your mind up if they are any good or not, the filter has a life expectancy of 20k miles and is a service item (change every 2 years)

Tony
Old 12 November 2007, 12:15 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

cheers for that Tony - it is not just in my head then!
Old 12 November 2007, 12:23 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

The uprated STi filter I once fitted to my old RB5 stifled the **** out of it,so reverted back to the oem paper affair.Much,much better