Notices

Which Impreza to buy? STI or WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2007, 07:01 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Impreza to buy? STI or WRX?

Hi all Scooby fans, I am very happy cause I found this place . I know question sounds stupid because STI has LSD, but I must say which one I want till monday, and I have no one to give me proper advice! So, problem is this: First one is 2004, 60k miles, 2.0 STI 265 HP. Car is good, no tuning. Second one is 2006 WRX, 25k miles, 2.5l 230 HP with a lot of tuning (STI brakes, gauges, 255l fuel pump, biger injectors, custom built downpipe with 3" exaust, etc. approx. 12k € of tuning), owner says it is around 300 HP and that its faster than STI (2.5l 280 HP version) on straight line. He didnt optimized it on dyno, Scooby rally team from Croatia was editing ECU of the car and building car from begining. Owner of that service says that it "should be around 300 HP". Only chip tuner near by is in Germany (Koch Subaru) and on his page 230k HP with 1000€ can be 265 HP. Second stage is exaust, and third stage turbine with IC.
Which one would you buy? Which one is better and more reliable? I heard that 2.5 engine is factory drilled 2.0 engine and that has thicker engine head.. I heard that 2.0 STI has forged gaskets, and 2.5 has normal... that 2.5l was allready on service because oil leak on gasket. Service changed everything, including stronger screws. I heard that if you go 110mph for about 60miles that engine overheats and simililar things. Which one is easyer and cheaper to tune? Which engine can hold more tuning without changing half of it. Please help Scoobys! I love that car but I would be sad if I shall buy future graveyard... (sorry on my bad English, Im from Croatia)

p.s. greetings to all and I would like to apologise in advance if I should first thread post somewhere else.
Old 10 November 2007, 08:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about the newage models, but many people do a lot of work on their WRXs just to get them up to STi performance, and probably wish they'd started with an STi.

I personally would take a standard, untouched STi instead of the equivalent WRX that had been heavily modified. That's assuming they are the same price.
Old 10 November 2007, 11:00 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I don't know anything about the newage models, but many people do a lot of work on their WRXs just to get them up to STi performance, and probably wish they'd started with an STi.

I personally would take a standard, untouched STi instead of the equivalent WRX that had been heavily modified. That's assuming they are the same price.
i agree,there are a lot of folk that have modded wrx's that wish they had started with an sti
Old 10 November 2007, 11:14 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

...and what about 2004 / 2006 look? Two completely different models...
`06 is more agressive style then `04 which is classic style. My heart says "go for `06" - brain says "go for `04". Does anybody know with which model where no problems as enginering mistakes? (like 2.5l wrx oil leak on gasket @ 30k miles - mechanic said me that). Is Scooby `04 with 60k miles realiable car? What to do?
Old 10 November 2007, 11:53 PM
Rossyboy99
Scooby Regular

yup sti as i'm one of those people searching for more power when i should have just paid a little more for the avaliable sti power.
Old 11 November 2007, 12:11 AM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rossyboy99
yup sti as i'm one of those people searching for more power when i should have just paid a little more for the avaliable sti power.
hehe, but you know what? `06 wrx cost 30k € and `04 sti costs 27k € so money in this case is not problem cause I was all the time thinking about buying newer one. So you think that when it is word about realiable (better)car then `04 STI, 2.0, 265 HP, 60k miles is better choice?
Old 11 November 2007, 10:19 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well you're in a better position than me as I run a MY98 car with 130,000 miles on it, and don't have the choice of an -04 or an -06! But in general, car models get more reliable as they get newer.

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2007, 03:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Buy STI then add exhaust and re-map to 330 bhp easy !

Better brakes, LSD etc. then add Whiteline rear anti-roll bar for more fun !
Old 11 November 2007, 03:48 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

yes mate ,go for the sti or you will always be wishing.Jim.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:36 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

...and does anybody know difference between fuel consumption 2.5 WRX and 2.0 STI? This 2.5l WRX "drinks" 4-5 gallons for 60 miles normal driveing. What is the story with 2.0? My friend drives tuned Volvo S40 T4, 270 HP@dyno, and his car drinks average 3 gallons for 60 miles normal driveing.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:50 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

ive just taken in a 2000 model uk car and it has been tweeked with full decat and intercooler along with some braking and handling stuff(but std internals) ...now bob rawle has mapped this car and it pulls better/stronger and smoother than most of the jap sti's ive had....so the wrx/sti debate depends on the buyer alone. andy forest has said on his website that wrx can run 400 on std internals (and has) without drama.....so its up to you really !
Old 11 November 2007, 07:52 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rabskyline
. andy forest has said on his website that wrx can run 400 on std internals (and has) without drama.....so its up to you really !
TY Rabskyline, that is answer what I was looking for cause I think newer car is better bargain and I didnt find any mayor variation on 2.5STI and WRX engine. Am I wrong?
And what about thing with AWD? STI has 3 stages of variable diff, I saw it how it works. Does it mean that in classic Impreza WRC I cannot drift like this? YouTube - Subaru Impreza AWD Drift

Please help me Scooby fans, cause tommorow is my day D...
Old 11 November 2007, 07:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

just buy the STI its cheaper in the long run as there is sooo many better bits added
Old 11 November 2007, 09:18 PM
Scoobyfirsttime
Scooby Regular

Does the STI engine have any different internals than the WRX ?
Old 11 November 2007, 09:20 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

I choose my 04 sti over an 06 sti as i think they lok better. As far as tunning goes both stock engines handle around 400hp. From wat I read the sti ur lookin at is £3k cheaper than the wrx, if u buy the sti and spend £3k on mods u wil see well over the 300hp mark!

Also I feel the 04 is a more fun car to drive as you really feel the turbo come onto boost on the 2.5 it was very smooth and didnt put as big a smile on my face!
Old 11 November 2007, 09:30 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by petedotuk
Also I feel the 04 is a more fun car to drive as you really feel the turbo come onto boost on the 2.5 it was very smooth and didnt put as big a smile on my face!

damn... I will tomorrow watch over both cars again and then send few pics of one I have chosen. TY Petedotuk
Old 11 November 2007, 09:54 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

What do you want form the car, every day easy driving or an ocasional day weekend warrior?

WRX's are alot nicer/friendlier car to drive where as the STi is not nice to drive but a lot more demanding, stiffer suspension (that normally knocks its **** off) switchy boost, closer ratio's (needing more gear changes more often) etc........

I have an STi and for the 10% of the time I drive ot hard, I love it, but for the 90% I drive it everyday, I cant help thinking a WRX would have been a better buy.

With newage Impreza's, you get get 280hp from the TD04, 300hp max with very good torque (300lbs/ft has been seen) and the spool is very early.

STi will see 350hp max with VF35.

A bit of food for thought.
Old 11 November 2007, 10:00 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
just buy the STI its cheaper in the long run as there is sooo many better bits added
yes it does. Stronger engine internals better brakes but rear suspension can cause problems....

Go with the STI
Old 12 November 2007, 06:37 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyfirsttime
Does the STI engine have any different internals than the WRX ?

no real difference really between 2.5 sti and 2.5 wrx. internals both the same. main difference being intercooler and turbo.

Last edited by scooby2.5maz; 12 November 2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 12 November 2007, 08:16 AM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
main difference being intercooler and turbo.
TY scooby on info
Old 29 December 2007, 04:37 PM
ifrancuz
Scooby Newbie

Hi again, I decided to buy 2006 STI, which I have found for 30k €. Car is stock with 12000 miles. I hope that I will get it @ January 10th. Whish to thank you all. I will return soon with questions about tuning Seems to me that I will chip it in Deutchland @ Subaru Koch because no one in Croatia/Slovenia etc. chips Subaru on dyno. Merry Xmas and happy new year!