Old 08 November 2007, 06:31 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReMap a 99 UK spec Turbo

Hi,

Im reasonably new to subaru's and I asked a few questions here

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...questions.html

Of which one was can you remap and modify a 99 V reg UK spec 4x4 Turbo to which everyone has said yes. Although i have spoken to superchips and now powerengineering and the best i can get for this model is an up rated exhaust.

Has anyone else got a vehicle of this age and is 240 plus BHP obtainable by remapping or do you need a newer vehicle or a WRX or STi import of this age?

Cheers

Mike
Old 08 November 2007, 06:48 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo superchips and power engineering are talking crap (i'm surprised at powerengineering saying that tbh).
Ecutek ** www.ecutek.com is what you require.
You can uprate the fuel pump,injectors,turbo, sports cat exhaust (safe for MOT).
JollyGreenMonster.co.uk (based in Kent but will travel and is very good imo)
You can try Triton as i said in your post in 'southern meets' section as they can get Bob Rawle down to do remap for you
Old 08 November 2007, 06:51 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

decat exhaust then remap should see you around 270-280bhp
i have a uk 98 full decat,as my ecu couldn't be mapped i went for the apexi powerfc setup by jollygreenmonster running approx 270-280.
Old 08 November 2007, 06:51 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Great I will give one of them a call and see what really can be done.

Sorry to bug you all Im just trying to get it sorted in my head and see what’s achievable.
Old 08 November 2007, 06:53 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikecoutanche
Great I will give one of them a call and see what really can be done.

Sorry to bug you all Im just trying to get it sorted in my head and see what’s achievable.
All depends how much money you want to spend
Old 08 November 2007, 07:02 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Thats what im trying to find out.

Im hoping over time for ultimatly around the 260 to 280BHP but 240 to start with would be good. Im not going to expect 300+ unless its simple without buying a STi etc.

Mike799 I didnt see your post there when i looked just now... Thats good news 270 - 280BHP would be spot on!

How does it work with a DECAT on a road car?

Last edited by mikecoutanche; 08 November 2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08 November 2007, 08:39 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

works well on the road,when car is due for mot put centre cat back on,to really notice the power gains is to get the car remapped it is a transformation.
if you just decat exhaust you will not notice alot of power gains.remap will put boost around 1.2bar
Old 09 November 2007, 09:11 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

superchips and scoobs are like adding water to electric, a very very bad idea.

a custom remap aka tech 3 remap, in your case using an ecutech system is by far your best bet, not the cheapest initialy, but can save you needing an engine rebuild which will def cost you more than the map
Old 09 November 2007, 09:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tidgy
superchips and scoobs are like adding water to electric, a very very bad idea.

a custom remap aka tech 3 remap, in your case using an ecutech system is by far your best bet, not the cheapest initialy, but can save you needing an engine rebuild which will def cost you more than the map
What he said!!!

Deact/sports cat, decent panel filter and proper ecutek 3 remap will see you to a very reliable 260-280 and the car will be smoother more punchy over the ntire rev range, more responsive and return slightly better MPG.

Ns04
Old 09 November 2007, 10:27 AM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Thanks all Im getting all excited now...
Old 09 November 2007, 10:53 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
What he said!!!

Deact/sports cat, decent panel filter and proper ecutek 3 remap will see you to a very reliable 260-280 and the car will be smoother more punchy over the ntire rev range, more responsive and return slightly better MPG.

Ns04

plus you can get them to map in pops bangs and flames
Old 09 November 2007, 04:01 PM
Dave Dixon
Scooby Regular

My MY99 runs 290 bhp with remap, decat and bloody big noisy exhaust!
And a VF28 turbo.
Dave.
Old 09 November 2007, 10:51 PM
wraggy78
Scooby Regular

What he said!!!

Ns04
Thinking of doing similar
couple of questions
1 decent panel filter recomendations
2 best place to do the ecutek 3 remap
3 would a my99 engine cope okay with this or would we be pushing the limits??
sorry for the silly questions again im fairly new to all this.
Cheers
Old 09 November 2007, 10:52 PM
wraggy78
Scooby Regular

plus you can get them to map in pops bangs and flames
PLEASE TELL MORE SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING.....
Old 09 November 2007, 11:51 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Panel filter - Green, Jr, Sti
Remap - lots of good places, depends where you are?

Engine will cope fine.

My UK Turbo W-Reg with 102k miles is going really strong with 273bhp/273lbft - no problems at all.

In fact its only when you go over 320/330bhp that you might have problems with gearbox/internals etc.
  • Sports cat (no MOT probs)
  • Decat-centre
  • Backbox
  • Panel filter
  • Remap
will give you 270-280bhp as everybody else has said

p.s. and boy is it so much more fun than 215bhp
Old 10 November 2007, 09:06 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by wraggy78
Thinking of doing similar
couple of questions
1 decent panel filter recomendations
2 best place to do the ecutek 3 remap
3 would a my99 engine cope okay with this or would we be pushing the limits??
sorry for the silly questions again im fairly new to all this.
Cheers
1) I use a Simota one. You can get them off David at APi amoung others, Do not get a heavily oiled panel filter as this can bugger your MAF (the weak spot of the MY99)
2) Whereabouts are you? If in the south, I'd suggest you go to Bob Rawle; mappers don't come much better than him (he did mine and it's perfect). You will have to wait though -he's in demand! If you're in the North, Andy Forrest would be my suggestion based on his surperb reputation.

Others that also have good repuatations: Simon Roe (posts as Jolly Greeen Monster on here) based in the South Paul at Zen performance (midlands, IIRC) RIchard Bulmer (also in midlands)

There are many others too, above is just a few to get you going.

3) Yes, a well looked after and properly tuned MY99 engine will happily live at 280bhp. I would suggest you also get an uprated fuel pump (walbro) and a set of uprated turbo to intercooler hoses (samco). Properly modified and mapped, they will remain perfectly reliable at higher levels of tune too 320-350 is pretty common these days. You'll need a few more mods including a new turbo if you want to get to that stage though!

Beyond 300 ft lbs torque (which you're not going to get with the std TD04 turbo) and you're into the unknown with the gearbox. A good one that has not been previously abused, mapped and driven sympathetically seems ok though. Mine is fine at 316ft lbs......so far!

The first thing to give up the ghost when you tune for more power is the clutch! Budget for an uprated one circa £250 and another £200 to fit. Have a word with David at API about the excellent Exeedy organic clutch.

Have fun!

Ns04
Old 10 November 2007, 01:45 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecoutanche
Hi,

Im reasonably new to subaru's and I asked a few questions here

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...questions.html

Of which one was can you remap and modify a 99 V reg UK spec 4x4 Turbo to which everyone has said yes. Although i have spoken to superchips and now powerengineering and the best i can get for this model is an up rated exhaust.

Has anyone else got a vehicle of this age and is 240 plus BHP obtainable by remapping or do you need a newer vehicle or a WRX or STi import of this age?

Cheers

Mike
MIke, looks like Superchips and Power Engineering are a bit off the pace here. And as stated, Superchips and an Impreza engine would create a bang that could be read at the Baikonur earthquake measuring centre in Siberia...

I would offer the Simtek ECu system as the way to map a 99 / 00 car these days. It is entry level for cost and has many, many good feature that come with much more expensive systems.

The real clincher is that it is a system that does not require the use of a MAF [ mass air Flow ] sensor which is a major achilles heel of that late model GC8 car. It is generally acknowledged to be a terrible piece of kit that fails way too often.

Most informed owners of that age car are paranoid about the MAF, which if it fails in a big way will take the engine with it. We have customers who until now, have been driving around with a new MAF in the glove box and as soon as they see symptoms of a MAF failure, stop immediately and change it by the roadside. A bit extreme sure, but totally true.

We are slowly upgrading these people into the Simtek, which just in MAF costs alone saves up to £165.00 + VAT [ 2 mafs ] per year being wasted.

There are many, many tuning options for your model car and it is worth taking note of comments from people such as New Scooby 04 who have been there and done that before you. They have the cars and the experiences to be able to give you facts and driving experience, independently of people such as us at API.

If I can help you oir you want to talk it through call me. I am out now until Tuesday am.

Good Luck - no matter what, David APi - 01926 614333
Old 11 November 2007, 05:45 PM
Dave Dixon
Scooby Regular

So how do you know if your MAF is on the way out?
What are the signs?
And even if no fault code is pointing to a MAF fault can it still be on the way out?

Last edited by Dave Dixon; 11 November 2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added a question.
Old 11 November 2007, 09:16 PM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

Irratic (sp) idle is a big give away.
Old 11 November 2007, 11:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dave Dixon
So how do you know if your MAF is on the way out?
What are the signs?
And even if no fault code is pointing to a MAF fault can it still be on the way out?
As above irratic idle is a common symptom.

If the car stutters or hesitates when coming on boost

Some that have fallen foul of the dreaded report that the car feel unusually rapid prior to it (and maybe one of their pistons going) this would be due to lean running.

The best way of preventing a maf related meltdown is probably to get a knocklink fitted. If you miss other symptoms (or they're unusually subtle) increased knocklink activity will tell you all is not well and warn you to stay off boost until you get it properly diagnosed!

To be honest, if you have a modified car, a knocklink should be on your shopping list anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Ns04
Old 12 November 2007, 12:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
MIke, looks like Superchips and Power Engineering are a bit off the pace here. And as stated, Superchips and an Impreza engine would create a bang that could be read at the Baikonur earthquake measuring centre in Siberia...

wraggy78, ask the mapper to add a bit of extra fuel to the overrun and hey presto, pop bang pop bang , eight foot flame,,, pmsl
Old 12 November 2007, 05:00 PM
New_scooby_04

wraggy78, ask the mapper to add a bit of extra fuel to the overrun and hey presto, pop bang pop bang , eight foot flame,,, pmsl
I had a chavtastic scooter following me about 2 inches from my bumper the other day....must admit, it did make me wish I' asked Bob to map in some pops and flames!
Old 13 November 2007, 12:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I had a chavtastic scooter following me about 2 inches from my bumper the other day....must admit, it did make me wish I' asked Bob to map in some pops and flames!

lol, mines good for getting rid of tailgaters, mine now pops and bangs and flames as it idles down from 3k to 2k so if they get to close i just let the car slow down even more, anoying them even more then scare hell out of them, has worked as well lol
Old 13 November 2007, 12:58 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation More power....

Originally Posted by mike799
works well on the road,when car is due for mot put centre cat back on,to really notice the power gains is to get the car remapped it is a transformation.
if you just decat exhaust you will not notice alot of power gains.remap will put boost around 1.2bar
Hi folks,

i have a 1999 RB5 and it boosts at 1.2 bar at present on high boost setting (g-reddy boost controller with 1.2 high boost, 0.8 low boost settings) with no probs of boost cut etc!!
Old 13 November 2007, 04:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RB5 Boyo
Hi folks,

i have a 1999 RB5 and it boosts at 1.2 bar at present on high boost setting (g-reddy boost controller with 1.2 high boost, 0.8 low boost settings) with no probs of boost cut etc!!
have you checked it is not lean or detting?

Simon
Old 13 November 2007, 04:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
have you checked it is not lean or detting?

Simon
To RB5boyo
If not, I would suggest you get someone to check using a wideband AFR and Detcans asap!!
Old 14 November 2007, 12:06 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

To RB5boyo
If not, I would suggest you get someone to check using a wideband AFR and Detcans asap!!
Well its been set up so far by OMA (a top tuner over here in N.I) and it runs fine and has been all checked loadsa times cus i was complaining it was hard to fuel and throwing out lots of flames and pops when driving hard....so its running rich at the mo if anything ....needa get this ecu fitted and get it mapped though now to get me some good power!!
Old 14 November 2007, 12:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

fueling issues on a car with a generic map/boost control increase? you don't say.

just answered the question, bad idea unless its mapped properly
Old 14 November 2007, 01:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol
Old 14 November 2007, 06:37 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Question

fueling issues on a car with a generic map/boost control increase? you don't say.

just answered the question, bad idea unless its mapped properly
Yeah ur rite there, but i was advised by the tuner as well not to be running high boost until i got the ecu fitted and mapped....so i run the car at the mo on low boost setting and dont rake it!!

Im getting the haltech ecu fitted in the next few weeks, should i notice a big difference in the fuel consumption when the ecu is fitted and mapped with the fmic etc?? The car is quite thirsty at present!!

Quick Reply: ReMap a 99 UK spec Turbo