Notices

Warped disc - vibration in brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2007, 09:53 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warped disc - vibration in brakes

97UK car with later 4 pot front brakes & Blue pagid pads, standard rears with Ferodo DS2500.

I've been getting vibration under heavy and medium braking recently and thought it might have been because the car wasn't used for a while and disc might have gota bit rusty.

However it's getting worse - do warped discs just warp or do they get worse?

Also it's been noticed that rear offside WHEEL gets warm after a motorway run, a mechanical I sort of know suggested t could be that this disc is warped an the pad rubbing on the high spot generates the heat.

I checked the hand brake last night - thats not sticking on. The outside pad was not moving away from the disc well it was sticking in the guides and it's much cooler now I've freed that up, but still warmer than the other side.

Disc didn't 'feel' warped but without a guage can you really tell?

Does this sound like a good enough diagnosis to buy new rear discs & pads or might it be something else?

Many thanks
Old 08 November 2007, 06:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

In most cases where people think they've got warped disc's it's more often than not pad deposits on the disc..

Do your disc's look anything like this..?:

If so, try giving them a real good work out, but remember not to come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake pedal whilst they're hot. Try and put a few heat cycles through them, 40mph ish moderate braking to say 10 mph x 6 times then 60-70 ish maximum braking, again down to 10 mph x6 WITHOUT STOPPING. Then drive normally for a few mins to cool down.

Could be down to the car not being used for a while..!
Old 08 November 2007, 07:12 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

correct if wrong i dont think you con get warped discs these days
Old 08 November 2007, 08:06 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

From what ive read, the discs dont actually warp! Its caused by pad transfer.
Old 09 November 2007, 09:50 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Oh no - you can warp the discs, although jasonius makes a good point about pad deposits.

Problem is I've already done this mate - a couple of times and it's just got worse. Front discs clean as -rears hve rust on inner & outer edges, but at the contact area they are clean too.

Apparently just 40 thou run out will give you judder under braking and there's no way of telling that without checking them with a guage.

What I didn't say was that I did a track day back in August and I was keeping up with a classic Type R so I wasn't going slowly - in fact only a Skyline passed me geniunly The rear discs are about 60K old and standard solid UK ones so I might have 'melted' them then
Old 09 November 2007, 10:03 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

HUGE again for Alyn at AS Performance.

Spoke with him yesterday lunch time and I have just had new rear discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads delivered to my desk at work.

Customer satisfaction rating
Old 09 November 2007, 10:32 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Pagid Blues are a high friction performance/race pad so if you have standard discs there's a good chance you have a serious overheating problem when on track. This could well lead to distortion and deposition with a standard 1 piece disc.
Old 09 November 2007, 10:45 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Pagid Blues are a high friction performance/race pad so if you have standard discs there's a good chance you have a serious overheating problem when on track. This could well lead to distortion and deposition with a standard 1 piece disc.
Exactly what happened to mine after a couple of laps of the Nurburgring.
I have Black diamond grooved discs on now with my Pagid blues, no warping or overheating problems at all.