Notices

Should I go for Induction Kit or Stick to Panel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 12:47 PM
mtaz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I go for Induction Kit or Stick to Panel Filter?

Carried out a diagnostic check last week as the engine check light flashed on me few times. No error codes to work on so nothing to worry about (I hope...). Any ideas about possible reasons for the light to flash?

Anyway, while we were at it, checked some other readings and noticed that the 'Intake Air Temperature' was quite high. To help reduce this temp, we have thought about heat shielding the hoses and may be get a better cold-air feed in to the box.

However Im seariously considering an upgrade and get a decent Induction Kit but dont know which one would be my best option? I quite like the K&N Typhoon as its hidden away in the right wing and away from the main heat source (engine). Also will I need to get my ECU remapped to take full benefits of the upgrade (somebody mentioned that the ECU will over time remap itself!!)??

Or is it better to stick to standard stuff (im using K&N filter in the standard box)? From your past experiences, what would be the best way to go about it?

Last edited by mtaz; 22 October 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 22 October 2007, 02:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your car and power.
A standard STI for instance is better off (new age btw) with a panel filter, a classic will benefit more from a panel filter upto a certain point, BUT the big one is dont have the induction kit in the engine bay, all you will do is put more hot air into your engine, you need it in the wing tbh, but a panel filter will suffice (and there are also problems caused by vibration on certain classic models which can cause maf failure with induction kits and dont use an oil based filter, has to be dry as also causes problems).

Tony
Old 22 October 2007, 05:09 PM
mtaz
Scooby Newbie

Its a bugeye WRX. Standard. No mods except Bailey DV and STi backbox. This would be my first mod as far as the engine is concerned.

Last edited by mtaz; 22 October 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 22 October 2007, 10:22 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Panel filter all the way with those mods.