Notices

Initial mods advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2007, 07:26 AM
mikey-r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial mods advice please

I'm looking to start tweaking the car soon. At the mo it's a bog standard '05WRX (facelift model) with the PPP. I'm not mechanically gifted (in fact when it come's to engines I'm a complete numpty ) and I've spend a while trawling through old threads but not really found what I'm after....

Can anyone point me to a thread/website that explains what re-mapping is all about and the advantages/disadvantages of having this done?

Alternatively, if anyone has any recommendations for initial mods. (I have about a grand burning a hole in my pocket).... I'm all ears. Essentially, I'm just after a bit more power (currently 265) with improved handling.

I'm quite near to Xtremescoobies, is it worth a chat to these guys?

Cheers

Mike.
Old 07 October 2007, 10:45 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mapping explained here

Tuning

initial mods - full decat, panel filter, remap.

Handling - uprated rear anti roll bar and drop links, eibach springs, strut braces.

Simon
Old 07 October 2007, 02:06 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The first thing I would do to any newage is uprate the rear roll bar and fit solid rear drop links (as Simon says). Whiteline 22mm adjustable and solid drop links, ~£140 and easy peasy to DIY fit, regardless of your ability..!

This will dial out most, if not all understeer, more effective than a spring kit IMHO and a cheap as chips..!

Following that, to keep it relatively cost effective, fit a green/KN panel filter, decat (up pipe at the very least) and then a remap. A well mapped TD04 will give you ridiculously quick response and around 280 bhp with fully decatted exhaust. However, more importantly the drive ability will be transformed, resulting in a very effective fast road car.

You will also need to think about uprating the front brake pads and fitting a set of s/s braided hoses with decent fluid. <£200 fitted.

This should be achievable for less than £1k,and will transform the car into what it should have been from the factory..!

Also, you'll give most STI's (ppp inc) a good run for their money, a good reason to keep the low (ironing board) spoiler to lull them into a false sense of security and then see the look on their faces when you stay stuck to their bumper/pass..
Old 07 October 2007, 07:01 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

What BHP are you pushing at the moment Jason?
Old 07 October 2007, 07:11 PM
mikey-r
Scooby Regular

Thanks J G G - an excellent site albeit a little 'high tech' for me but now I have a better idea.

Jason - thanks mate, that's exactly the response I was hoping for.

Cheers.

Mike.