Notices

Just fitted an STI8 TMIC to WRX Blobeye, But...

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2007, 07:47 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Location: Waltham, a nice village that's just a little too close to Grimsby!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just fitted an STI8 TMIC to WRX Blobeye, But...

Just fitted an STI8 Top mounted Intercooler onto my 03MY Blobeye WRX, and i noticed that the ducting on the plastic panel that screws to the underside of the bonnet scoop, is too small to cover the whole surface of the larger intercooler.

Has anybody modified their ducting to allow air to flow through the entire intercooler core, or is it just easier to fit a panel from an STI and be done with it?

Tried to fit a high flow cat i had made too, but after undoing a million nuts/bolts to get the original downpipe/cat off, i found that the dimensions were slightly out, and the larger sports cat fouled the bodywork. DOH! Back to the drawing board for this one!

Last edited by Natural Born Chiller; 06 October 2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Too many typos!
Old 06 October 2007, 11:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept the WRX scoop and tweaked an STi scoop undertray to fit the scoop yet allow full air flow over the intercooler.
It needs three plates to be prised off and shallower angled ones added...

You could always fit the large STi scoop with unmolested undertray.

The std WRX undertray looked too much trouble to open up to fit. A longer STi rubber seal is also needed.
nick
Old 06 October 2007, 11:29 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also fitted the STI TMIC. I looked for ages and the easiest option is the STI scoop and undertray. To get the best from the TMIC you really do need the bigger scoop and undertray combination. The rubber seal has to sit in the intercooler so that all the air has to flow through the intercooler. If there is a less restrictive path for the air, it will find it and will reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler.

It would be interesting to see if there was a difference in the charge temps with the WRX intercooler and WRX scoop/undertray combo as compared to and STI 8 TMIC with the WRX undertray and scoop. That would show how much the effectiveness of the STI8 TMIC was reduced by.
Old 06 October 2007, 11:40 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Location: Waltham, a nice village that's just a little too close to Grimsby!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the scoop on the STI different to the WRX one then? Or is it just the undertray that's different?

I always assumed the WRX and STI scoops were the same?
Old 07 October 2007, 12:17 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sti scoop is taller fella