Notices

Car takes longer to turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2007, 10:27 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car takes longer to turn over

Morning all, just recently the car has started to take a bit longer to fire up - and im not just refering to early morning starts. I could have been using the car for a bit and then it struggles to start again.

Since i bought the car its always took a while to fire up ( usually a good 5 secs worth of cranking ) before it starts which i took as being normal and just one of the quirks of the car - but now its taking even longer.

Obviously i think the battery's on its way out - but is it likely to have been that way since i bought the car? Do your cars take a while to fire up or is it just mine? The cold weather were getting must have highlighted the flaw?

If its a duff battery - will it have caused any problems to the car by being used like it has for the last 12 months? Or should i instantly notice things working better ( like the crap lights ) once its replaced?

Also - im no mechanic so not sure how it works - but does a good battery help the car work better or is its only purpose to make the car start?

Where can i get a decent battery from and price?

Thanks

Adam
Old 06 October 2007, 11:13 AM
LC Scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam

I have had my WRX for just over a year now and like you when I first bought it I thought that the turn over time was part of the flat four character, would take at least 5-6 seconds to catch when turning it over.
I went and fitted an earth kit and voltage stabilizer across the battery which came off my previous motor and found that it had a really good response, turn over time seemed to drop by half (not experimented with it so no actual figures) but I perceived there to be a difference.
It still takes a little longer to start if the engine is run stopped for a bit and then restarted, I would guess this is due to the fuel and air in the system absorbing radiant heat and not been able to be ignited? Not too sure. But I defiantly found a difference so could be something to look at if the new battery doesn't drastically improve things.

LC
Old 06 October 2007, 07:21 PM
petes21st
Scooby Regular

my cars recently had major problems starting which have been getting worse, it used to catch quiet quickly then one day it wouldnt start, i had to use a booster and it started fine, it was fine for the next week then at again wouldnt start then on and off, at work, at home at the shops just woudn't start.
regardless of weather, regardless of how long it had been running, i had to carry a booster everywhere.

Then today, like a tit i left the ignition on in the car with the window wide open for about an hour. then i needed a new battery, cost me the best part of £80.

But now it starts before ive finished turning the key, perfect