Got a Worrying noise (05 STI)

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2007, 11:18 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Worrying noise (05 STI)

Hi Guys,

Ive got a noise that is very dificult to identify where its comming from even though its very audible even at standstill.

The engine needs to be running, it sound like a noisy electric motor, from inside the car i thought it was the fuel pump (ive had the ppp pack fitted) but opening the boot i cant hear it in there or underneath the rear of the car, where it actually sounds like its comming from is behind the throttle body/under the intercooler.

its a very high pitched squeal (i would say between 10k and 15khz, yes i can hear that high even though im 40 as i can hear tv's tubes which are 15k ish, thats why i bought a 100hz tv to push it to 30khz to stop it anoying me, anyway back on topic )

it varys a bit and can make a little tune sometimes, while i was under the bonnet and the fan came on the sound disapeared completely and came back as soon as the fan stopped, confusing me further, at first i thought it might just be air squeusing passed the almost shut butterfly, but even revving the engine a bit its still there.

HELP! i dont want to go to the dealer and look like a numpty trying to explain this.Also Is there an electric pump for the gearbox on the 05 STI DCCD's? (the noise might be from the top of the gearbox)

Please help me as im sure to go mad the in next couple of weeks trying to locate it! (its been going on for about a month, slowly getting louder)

Simon
Old 28 September 2007, 01:20 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

The fan coming on (taking battery power) and the noise going, suggests that it could be something to do with the alternator or drive belt.
Old 28 September 2007, 04:08 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

I would agree, its definatly not the belt, i wonder if im hearing a reflection of the sound from behind the alternator?

Im going to check again tommorow

Thanks

Simon
Old 01 October 2007, 05:36 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Think ive found the source of the noise, it seems to be a solonoid that is next to the alternator on the left and toward the back (looking from the front) and connected to the inlet manifold and something alse that i cant follow the pipes too.

Any idea what this solonoid is for?

Simon
Old 01 October 2007, 10:55 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the temperature control sensor if it is the one direcly under the alternator and slightly behind the crank sensor and oil pressure sensor.Its a triangular shape if that helps
Old 02 October 2007, 09:58 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purge control solenoid for fuel vapour?
Old 02 October 2007, 01:47 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

Its definatly next to the alternator not underneath

butty, should the purge control solonoid be making noises even at idle?

What would the funtion of this device be exactly (never hear the term before)

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2007, 02:38 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The purge control allows fuel tank pressure to vent through a carbon filter canister and into the inlet manifold.
I'm not sure if there is a pattern to the solenoid opening, but it is linked to a fuel tank pressure sensor.
The other item that may be making a noise is the TGV motors on each bank of inlet runners.
nick