Boost problem? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2007, 09:28 AM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost problem? PLEASE HELP

Firstly I must warn you its a bit long but please read, cheers

Ok so I was driving home from work last night, up a hill, 4th or 5th gear, 5th I think, about 55mph, put me foot down a little bit just to keep speed up for this long hill. Suddenly I got a rush of boost for about half a second then I backed right off. It wasnt a good rush of boost, it was a bad, nasty, crude spike of boost.

I checked my apexi hand commander straight away. My max revs for the entire 15 mile trip were 3300 and max boost was 0.8 bar, so obviously I had been driving easy; however the knock was 44! Which is higher than the normal 20 or less! Especially at 3300 max revs, so Im convinced the knock reading was directly linked to that spike of boost.

After that it didnt seem as powerful as usual, although I knew I could have been paranoid, so today on my way back into work, with my mate who I take to work every day, I asked him if he could notice any difference. First thing we noticed was it was boosting to 1.23bar, it was mapped to 1.2 bar, and never goes over 1.21 max this caused my check engine warning light to come on. So I lowered the boost controller setting from 69% (what andy set it to) to 67%. Now its at 67% its going no higher than 1.21 bar, but why did it creep up??

So now the boost is running how it normally does, my mate says the car seems to pull the same as it has done for the last week that ive had it mapped for. Still feels a little slow to me, but I really could just be paranoid about it and too scared to boot it. I had a mr2 turbo blow up on me, and now every time I hear or feel something out the ordinary I freak out lol.

So I got to work, checked apexi readings:

Boost: 1.23 (at 69%) - High
1.21 (at 67%) _ Normal
Knock: 17 - Normal
Water: 90
Revs: 4823 ......... Obviously still a bit scared too flog its **** off

What do you guys think? Is there a problem or am I just been paranoid?
Old 26 September 2007, 09:29 AM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P.s mods are:

95 wrx wagon. Walbro, 440s, new coil packs, td04h, apexi ecu, blitz s spec ebc, andy f remap

280bhp

Worth noting is andy said I needed an sti intercooler, he said the gaskets sometimes go on the early wrx intercoolers when boost is raised. We checked and mine had started to come out slightly during mapping, but he said is wasnt a problem but should be watched. Dunno if this could be related?