Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2007, 10:42 AM
Impreza_wrcsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening door windows

Hi all

Just need a little advice.

I have a 1997 Impreza rx and have noticed that all of the windows on the door are very loose. At speed there is a fair amount of noise caused by this. So my question is, can a competent DIY'er remove the door panels to tighten them up or is it a job for Subaru? I live in Norway so hoping not the latter.

If possible, any advice? I tried removing the rear door panel but couldnt see how the door handle was connected and was afraid to pull too hard.

Thanks alot in advance.
Old 31 August 2007, 03:28 PM
ProdriveWRX
Scooby Newbie

Id be interested in knowing this also. I had a paintless dent removal guy knock out a couple of supermarket car park dents. and since then my driver side window seems a little loose
Old 31 August 2007, 04:16 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

if you take off the door cards there is two wee metal brackets with felt that touch against the window. loosen the bolt holding these and slide bracket further out and tighten. not too tight though as you want electric windows to work fairly easily.

window seals are just a bit noisy anyway at speed. i am always meaning to get some rubber conditioner and see if that helps but keep forgetting.
Old 31 August 2007, 05:20 PM
Impreza_wrcsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by euan_r
if you take off the door cards there is two wee metal brackets with felt that touch against the window. loosen the bolt holding these and slide bracket further out and tighten. not too tight though as you want electric windows to work fairly easily.

window seals are just a bit noisy anyway at speed. i am always meaning to get some rubber conditioner and see if that helps but keep forgetting.
Great thanks alot for the information. Any info on actually getting the door cards off?

Thanks.

Oh and any pictures are GRATEFULLY received...
Old 31 August 2007, 10:43 PM
tomsov
Scooby Newbie

Default Getting Door Cards Off

Heres how to do it (classic shape):
Going from the door hinge, look for a plastic button head about mid way up the pannel, use your fingers to gently ease this pin out of the door facia (can require some force)
Next go to plastic that covers the mirror fixings and gently pull this cover off, again using fingers only - there are three push fixings at the top,mid and bottom.
Using a wide flat screwdriver, prise the small plastic cover from the single retaining screw at the bottom of the internal door handle. Unscrew the handle and remove. (use thick card where necessary to avoid possible damage to plastic handle)
Remove internal handle facia, this can be a bit hair raising sometimes as the plastic behind the handle is held by four barbed latches - I find it best to gently mover around and around the facia using fingers only to slowly prise the plastic from its seating. One it becomes free, manuever it over the door handle.
Work from the mirror to the door latch working first to the bottom of the door then back up towards the latch applying gently pulling pressure, you will hear clicking noises as the card releases.
Now the tricky part, the card is held by three brackets just under the window area; two upward facing metal brackets, one at the open end of the door (latch end) and one in the centre. The third bracket faces the opposite way and requires a bit of careful twisting to release. I found that if I released the first two brackets by pulling gently upwards then gently twisting from the hinge upwards seemed to work best.
Dont forget to disconnect the electrics to the door switches etc before walking off with it!

Hope this helps.

Oh, dont worry if you snap any of the plastic fixings as they can all be bought from halfords (but do take care with the door handle as it can be a nusence to remove)

Last edited by tomsov; 31 August 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01 September 2007, 06:25 AM
Impreza_wrcsti
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot Tomsov. Sounds a little tricky but not out of my league (famous last words ) so Ill give it a try! Hope I dont break anything as parts costs in Norway a not cheap...

Thanks again!