Notices

p1 smoke from exhaust 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2007, 11:24 PM
kirby 32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p1 smoke from exhaust 2.5

hi anyone any ideas , i have a p1 with the 2.5 conversion , the short motor had only done three thousand miles , and i started getting a bit of smoke out of the exhaust when on the over run and coming on boost , , when coming of boost i get a lot more smoke from the back , ie doesnt seam to be coming out of the exhaust more like from underneath , so i thought turbo , which i changed for one of a reputable guy on here , was exactly the same with turbo changed . so then thought piston , done a compression test all seamed fine , anyway still wasnt hapy , so deceided to take engine out and change pistons , when i stripped engine down the old pistons seam fine , no breaks or cracks , alls i will say is that when you looked at the crown of all four pistons 1 , 3 ,4 had a small clean spot on them , which i presume was caused by the plug igniting the fuel , spot about the size of a five pence and in line with the bottom of the plug , but number two piston had a lot dirtyer crown with a less visable clean spot on it , so changed all pistons for a set of wisecos and eagle rods , the bores all looked fine no visable marks on them and no wear , as engine only done 3k , all rebuilt with cometic head gaskets etc , now the rebuilt engine has done 200 miles and ive got the same smoke from exhaust again , car is pulling ok running on minumu boost at the moment on power fc , so not been thrashing it , the old turbo i took of did have oil in it , but as said i changed it for one off here , also changed all the stem seals whilest engine was out . the only thing i done prior to getting the smoke from exhaust was fit a catch can , following the thread posted by a fellow p1 owner , and removing the pcv valve from the inlet manifold and blanking it , and fitting a sard dump valve to the underneath pipes on the intercooler , have got some pressure from oil filler , but hard to know what is right with that , going by the threads on here , any ideas guys , i just feel like throwing a match to the thing really is burning my head out know thanks kirby32
Old 25 August 2007, 11:52 PM
Scooby Senior

sounds like it's over fueling a little, nothing to worry about IMO. Have you asked your mapper?
Old 26 August 2007, 09:16 AM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

it is pointing towards the mapping, have a tweak with your mapper and see if that helps ?
Old 26 August 2007, 11:13 AM
kirby 32
Scooby Regular

Default bttt

bttt any more thoughts
Old 26 August 2007, 11:53 AM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

you have changed many engine components so i cant see it being a problem there ?

what colour did you say it was ?
Old 26 August 2007, 12:49 PM
Scooby Senior

if you've done the valve seals, it is less likely to be oil, maybe a fault with No 2 injector, get Mark@Lateral to flow test and match them if it hasn't already been done, apart from that, valve clearances. on No2. failing that, Mapping.
Old 26 August 2007, 03:42 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

You need a leak down test really as it gives a much better idea.
Valve stem oil seals?
Old 26 August 2007, 04:00 PM
kirby 32
Scooby Regular

Default comp test

hi just been out in car againgave it a bit of a thrashing , and when on full boost 1.18 if i keep my foot down dont seam to get any smoke , either that or im going to fast to see it , started her up this morning no smoke at all got her up to temp and nothing , the smoke comes just after the boost comes in and on the over run , it is of a blueey colour , so i would presume oil , from some were , just done a compression test and these were the results num 1 168
num 2 166
num 3 158
num4 160

as i said when engine was stripped the bores looked a1 , and the old standard pistons all look perfect , when problem first started i thought turbo , so changed the turbo , the old turbo did have a bit of oil in it , i also checked the up pipe from the inlet manifold and there was no oil in that just in the turbo , if it was piston related would there not be oil in the up pipe and manifold aswell as the turbo . as i have said just took it out and gave it a good thrashing i know its only done 200 miles since rebuild , but just totally pissed of with it on the commander i got up to 7200 rpm got knock reading of 16 water temp of 96 , and im getting oil pressure readings on tick over of between 40 50 . any one any ideas before i take the engine out once again where else could the oil be coming from , and what do you think the chances are that this turbo could be gone aswell , would there be anythink that could of killed the two turbos that ive fitted , but does seam to be boosting ok and running ok , smoke is most promenent just after boosting and on the over runn thanks kirby32
Old 26 August 2007, 05:28 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

A compression test doesnt tell you a massive amount tbh,
yeah it sounds like oil smoke to me.

If you get lots of blowby past the rings it pukes it all back through the breathers, then you get oil in the intercooler etc etc
Old 26 August 2007, 08:27 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

compression looks good

sounds like oil is passing down your exhaust.

do you have an oil catch tank ?

have you plumbed it up right ?

matt

Last edited by p1prodrive; 26 August 2007 at 08:30 PM.