Notices

SECOND HAND ENGINE OR REBUILD??? ANY OPINIONS

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2007, 07:05 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SECOND HAND ENGINE OR REBUILD??? ANY OPINIONS

Hi there i would value some peoples opinion in my dilema my 95 wrx which i have owned for only a month now has a shot piston which im not too happy about and im now weighing up my options. do i just give up wipe my mouth of the loss and sell it as it is.
spend just over a grand with second hand engine and gettin it all set up or get my engine rebuilt with uprated pistons which i have been qouted between £1500-£1800
or just break it for spares which would break my heart as someone has already spent a small fortune on this car
the spec of the cars is
95 wrx with
full leather retrim
snap off streering wheel
loads of exterior mods front splitter big v6 rear spoiler al colour coded fog light covers 18"wheels 555 wrx no plate
fmic
550cc injectors
uprated oil and fuel pumps
s/s headers upipe downpipe centre section back box (no cats)
apexi ecu and commander handset
apexi avcr boost controller moniter
had bottem end rebuild last year
new crank uprated shell bearings steel headgaskets all at a cost of £2100 by zen performance
im not really feeling the second hand engine option as i could see myself in the same situation a few months down the line
what would you do???????????
Old 22 August 2007, 07:17 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the engine rebuilt as getting a 2nd hand engine may put you in the same position as now (as you've noted).
Old 22 August 2007, 07:28 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

If Zen rebuilt the engine last year it must have been mapped by a complete muppet to blow up so soon.

If you dont want to throw loads of cash at it, get a cheap second hand engine, put in, and then sell it.
Old 22 August 2007, 09:07 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

when the rebuild was done the pistons wasnt replaced, maybe would of been a good idea while engine was out and in bits but i wasnt the owner then if it was me i would of had them changed then.
as for doin a cheap fix and run and let someone else suffer the consequencies. as i now know its not nice to buy a car then a couple of weeks later it blows up leaving you footing a large bill its not nice and wouldnt wish it on anyone let alone bein the cause of it