Notices

'Cold weld' type adhesive..?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 10:13 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'Cold weld' type adhesive..?

Whilst reading an article on NASIOC about fitting a rear diffuser, someone mentioned that a product called 'JB Weld' would be a convenient alternative to tack welding the OEM brackets to the underside of the spare wheel well.

I've googled JB Weld and it does look good:

J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD Product Information

Does anyone know of a similar 'cold weld/epoxy' product available here (I'm assuming JB Weld isn't)..?
IMHO, it would be ideal for this light load application and a damn sight easier than welding.. Some of these new epoxy resins are exceptionally strong, but any experience with this sort of thing would be helpful..

FWIW, I know I can just drill the wheel well, which I'm probably going to end up doing, but thought this would be worth a look..
Old 03 August 2007, 11:40 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Whilst reading an article on NASIOC about fitting a rear diffuser, someone mentioned that a product called 'JB Weld' would be a convenient alternative to tack welding the OEM brackets to the underside of the spare wheel well.

I've googled JB Weld and it does look good:

J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD Product Information

Does anyone know of a similar 'cold weld/epoxy' product available here (I'm assuming JB Weld isn't)..?
IMHO, it would be ideal for this light load application and a damn sight easier than welding.. Some of these new epoxy resins are exceptionally strong, but any experience with this sort of thing would be helpful..

FWIW, I know I can just drill the wheel well, which I'm probably going to end up doing, but thought this would be worth a look..
Get yourself down to an auto parts store they should have it. Its by no means a new product on the market as i used the stuff once to repair a slight crack in an alloy over 8 years ago!!

If i remember correctly it comes in 2 parts. black tube and red tube... ones the hardener the other is the ?? other stuf!

Rob
Old 03 August 2007, 11:44 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Ok, so i click on the link after i reply to you and it pops up with a black and red tube!!! LOL

Rob
Old 04 August 2007, 12:38 AM
Scooby Senior

Very good stuff is JB Weld, alternatively use sikaflex, like silicone sealant weld, that wont come off... ever...
Old 04 August 2007, 12:24 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

So are these adhesives as good as they say..?

BTW thanks for the replys..