Notices

turbo help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2007, 09:44 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo help please.

hello, i have a 92 impreza import. standard turbo td05 with k&n style air filter and in the process of fitting a front mount intercooler (pipes need cutting etc). my car has now done around 85,000 miles and thought the turbo isnt going to last for ever and its time for an upgrade. i really want some help with which is the best way to go. been told if i go huge then its just going to lag far too much and best way is probably going to be a td05 hybrid or possibly and td06 hybrid. i wanna try and get something thats not gonna be too much hassle to fit and will give me upto about 450bhp with the right other mods.

also been informed that because my car is a 92 i dont actually need to have any cat on my exhaust. anyone else know anything about this? take it i still need to pass emssions though. but if i dont need a cat for an MOT then the whole lot is coming off and its time for a straight out monster system to go in.

any help would be great on what turbo to choose, thanks.
Old 02 August 2007, 09:49 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say stick with the TD05 for the moment, fit the FMIC and get a decat down pipe and mid section and have it remaped. I think you'll be supprised at the difference.
Old 02 August 2007, 11:54 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

yeah and no lol. been talking to somebody who has fitted a fmic before (because i didnt realise how much of a big job it was) and he said it does make alot of difference. whole reason i got it though was to prepare for some more power hopefully through a larger turbo.

i didnt really wanna pay out for the car to have say 2 or 3 remaps so wanted to get everything fitted like fmic and turbo etc and then go for one final remap after its all done.

not sure if its had a remap already, got the car last year. on MOT it was running around 7.9 and 2.4 on CO2 and lambard levels. at idle it was fine though. guy there had an english decat impreza with piggy back ecu and said his normally runs around the 5.6 mark.

i know its faster than the new standard WRX or STI because ive had a few try and race me and i havent lost yet. been at a guess about 40 to 50 bhp more than them. and thats without the intercooler even connected yet.

do you think a straight swap from the standard td05 to a hybrid td05 is a good idea? means i can replace it easy and car will run the same but should just give off say 60 70 more bhp from the hybrid without having to mess around too much. i mean im gonna have to replace the turbo pretty soon anyway cos its getting a bit old. noticed a slight bit of oil coming from it as well recently. still runs perfect and no smoke at all. just a bit of oil thats all. but maybe im gonna expect that from a slightly older car?
Old 03 August 2007, 08:13 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pre July 95 cars use the Basic Emissions Test which is a less strict
http://www.type-ra.co.uk/images/emissions.gif

For 450bhp you will need to rebuild the engine (i expected you knew that anyway )

AndyForrestPerformance show some of the turbos he can provide.

Lateral Performance seem to have a popular turbo range

Zen Performance - Turbochargers

I'm sure if you speak to any of the above they can give you good advice on what you need

Last edited by myblackwrx; 03 August 2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03 August 2007, 08:43 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

woody what ecu is the car running now? You can check the ecu by looking in the passenger footwell. If its standard open it up to see if it has had a piggyback chip installed. The turbo you have is capable of over 300 bhp, and if you have a standard ecu depending on version then yours will only be running I think its 220ps which means it is slightly less bhp. Therefore you have 100bhp to play with by using your existing turbo. Think about it, nearly a 50% increase in power with a suitable chip/remap by using aftermarket ecu

Your car only has the one cat and thats in the downpipe, remove this and the turbo will spool a bit quicker and the car will seem more responsive. There isnt a cat in the centre its just a bulbous silencer that looks like one. For emmisions you will just have to do the basic emmisions test (BET) but you need to make sure the garage are aware of that as it is surprising how many dont.

Like myblackwrx says for 450bhp you will need a lot of work, engine rebuild/new engine with forged components, uprated brakes, uprated suspension to make best use of the power, bigger turbo (td05 series not enough), bigger injectors, adjustable fuel regulator
It is relatively cheap to get around the 300bhp ish mark but after that it starts becoming expensive
Old 03 August 2007, 07:28 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Pre July 95 cars use the Basic Emissions Test which is a less strict
http://www.type-ra.co.uk/images/emissions.gif

For 450bhp you will need to rebuild the engine (i expected you knew that anyway )

AndyForrestPerformance show some of the turbos he can provide.

Lateral Performance seem to have a popular turbo range

Zen Performance - Turbochargers

I'm sure if you speak to any of the above they can give you good advice on what you need
thanks i was looking at zenperformance. thats where i found the td05 20g hybrid. i thought this was the possibly the easiest way to go. not to much hassle and easy power gains. a friend of a friend works for turbo tronics ( i think thats the name) and hes infestigating for me on maybe building a hybrid turbo thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. so hopefully he can do something for me. if not then he should be able to get me a td05 hybrid at a discount price.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:40 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
woody what ecu is the car running now? You can check the ecu by looking in the passenger footwell. If its standard open it up to see if it has had a piggyback chip installed. The turbo you have is capable of over 300 bhp, and if you have a standard ecu depending on version then yours will only be running I think its 220ps which means it is slightly less bhp. Therefore you have 100bhp to play with by using your existing turbo. Think about it, nearly a 50% increase in power with a suitable chip/remap by using aftermarket ecu

Your car only has the one cat and thats in the downpipe, remove this and the turbo will spool a bit quicker and the car will seem more responsive. There isnt a cat in the centre its just a bulbous silencer that looks like one. For emmisions you will just have to do the basic emmisions test (BET) but you need to make sure the garage are aware of that as it is surprising how many dont.

Like myblackwrx says for 450bhp you will need a lot of work, engine rebuild/new engine with forged components, uprated brakes, uprated suspension to make best use of the power, bigger turbo (td05 series not enough), bigger injectors, adjustable fuel regulator
It is relatively cheap to get around the 300bhp ish mark but after that it starts becoming expensive
i did take a look at the ecu a while ago and it is standard but didnt open it up. i will try this weekend if i have time. i did check the numbers out and it is the right one for my model car.

if you go to this site Which Car is a WRX STi my car should be running 240ps apparently.

the 450bhp was just a ball park figure. if i can get that without spending thousands then ill be pretty happy. normally i find out what i want and then hunt around to find the best prices. getting stuff from the US and japan is good cos ive saved alot of money that way. just have to wait a while thats all.

i was going to do the brakes soon anyway and ive got sti 3 springs fitted already. with 18" wheels and 35 profile tyres. so im getting pretty good tracksion so far.

im not sure what exhaust i actually have on the car as its not labelled and i havent seen it on any other standard subarus. its an ovel shape about 4 inch back with around a 3 inch pipe all the way through. maybe it is the standard for jap imports im not sure. it looks like a magnex oval but as i cant find any labelling im not sure. i was going to get a full system soon downpipe all the way through. just not sure on what one to get yet.