Notices

Want to go Twin scroll but i want larger than stock turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2007, 06:29 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to go Twin scroll but i want larger than stock turbo!

What is the Largest replacement turbo for a Twin scroll car?
i plan on swapping a EJ257 out of a US sti into my car this winter, at that point id like to go to a VF37TSBB turbo. once the TS set up is running i want to upgrade the turbo my goal is 400-450WHP i am looking for a TS replacement turbo that will support higher horsepower. i prefer to stay in the stock location and not rotate the turbo.
any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 02 August 2007, 08:09 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03 August 2007, 11:48 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Could try one of the TS turbos that APS have recently developed. They should be capable of achieving the power your after.

Subaru STI Performance
Old 03 August 2007, 12:08 PM
rasheedn
Scooby Regular

PE1825 should get u that power
Old 03 August 2007, 03:38 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Could try one of the TS turbos that APS have recently developed. They should be capable of achieving the power your after.

Subaru STI Performance
If it all possible i dont want to go rotated, i have considered them!
Old 03 August 2007, 04:19 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Powerstation MD366s,

Or whatever the turbo is that they use on the new T25 cars.
Old 03 August 2007, 05:20 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

what do they T25 cars make for power?
do you have a link to the turbo? powerstation just lists packages.

Last edited by jnorth85; 03 August 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03 August 2007, 05:33 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I belive you can only get them via powerstation/litchfields as they have developed the turbo over a few years to their spec, you could also try Owen developments for your needs they have been doing work on the twinscroll as well.
Old 03 August 2007, 05:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All ill say is that it will cost you a small fortune, 4-450whp (which is total bs really) relates to around 550@fly.
Now scoobynet is a world of wonders and guess what someones already done what you wanted

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...roduction.html

Personally, 400bhp is more than enough power for the road, plus you have to consider what else to upgrade apart from totally going to work on the engine, should be all in that article though (top of the forum shows you articles btw )

Tony
Old 03 August 2007, 07:05 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
All ill say is that it will cost you a small fortune, 4-450whp (which is total bs really) relates to around 550@fly.
Now scoobynet is a world of wonders and guess what someones already done what you wanted

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...roduction.html

Personally, 400bhp is more than enough power for the road, plus you have to consider what else to upgrade apart from totally going to work on the engine, should be all in that article though (top of the forum shows you articles btw )

Tony
I currently have a USDM STI with 400WHP and i am building a classic as my track car. i have goals to be in the range of 450+WHP with a more responsive set-up than what is on my current STI.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i dont think the cost would be worth it to go twin scroll on an american car !! plus mine is a twin scroll car and when i was speaking to turbo dynamics about a similar turbo for my car they advised me to go with a gt30r if turbo dynamics are giving that sort of advice, im sure they know best so thats what i did
Old 03 August 2007, 07:27 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
i dont think the cost would be worth it to go twin scroll on an american car !! plus mine is a twin scroll car and when i was speaking to turbo dynamics about a similar turbo for my car they advised me to go with a gt30r if turbo dynamics are giving that sort of advice, im sure they know best so thats what i did
a 30R is a little more than i want to go with, i would like to stay with stock location for ease of intercooler and intake selection.
dont get me wrong a 30R is a great turbo but it doesnt offer the response that i am looking to get out of the car.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

but your car isnt even twin scroll so you need to add all these parts !! plus your after say 600bhp at the flywheel ??? your chasing a dream as far as im concerned !!

what mods are on your car now so then its easier for people to advise you ??

the only turbo i know that can maybe handle that sort of power in twin scroll is the APS one which requires all their own headers, up/ down pipes etc and then it has lots of lag and they only recommend it on 2.5ltr
Old 03 August 2007, 08:21 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jnorth85,

You have already been shown a link to the work that has been completed on our Spec C project car and this year we decided to go the full hog and go with a 2.5ltr VVT Cosworth engine, but still utilising standard position turbos and reverting to single scroll.

We are currently working with AET Turbos and the present test turbo from AET is producing 510bhp / 500lbft (on pump fuel). It's a direct bolt on turbo, which is giving us over 400bhp from 4k rpm. Firstly the mapping is far from finished and neither is the turbo development, so expect other things to happen in the near future..... at least it is a taster for you and proves standard drop in turbos are far from dead.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 03 August 2007, 08:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jnorth85
a 30R is a little more than i want to go with, i would like to stay with stock location for ease of intercooler and intake selection.

????? but for 450WHP intake and intercooler selection will have to be totally different from stock !! plus i dont even think my hybrid rotated gt30r can possibly make 450whp ???
Old 03 August 2007, 09:08 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

the classis is US spec so it is a non turbo car currently.
I have purchased a Wrecked USDM sti that i will be swapping the drivetrain into the classic.

i dont mine installing all the parts because i already plan on replacing the manifold/turbo/exhaust system anyways.

with 450WHP i would have to run a FMIC however 99% of the FMIC's on the market are designed to bolt up to a stock location turbo. also most of the air intakes on the market are designed to bolt up to the stock location inlet tube.

450whp is very achieveable on stock location, if you do research on the Forced Performance RED turbo there are people that are getting 500+WHP

however this is a Thrust Bearing turbo and has a considerable amount of lag.

what i am after is something with that sort of power that is BB and has more response (hint Twin Scroll)

Shaun,
what was your reasoning for going to a single scroll turbo on your test vehicle?

if i end up having to go rotated i will. however i will be going with a full-race engineering 30R kit. this is not ideal because of the amount of custom work that woudl be required for the intercooler/intake track.

I have learned in my years of modifying subarus that the less you change the less that will go wrong. that is why i would like to stick with a stock position turbo.

Thank you all for the help you have provided thus far!
Old 03 August 2007, 09:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jnorth85
if i end up having to go rotated i will. however i will be going with a full-race engineering 30R kit. this is not ideal because of the amount of custom work that woudl be required for the intercooler/intake track.

I have learned in my years of modifying subarus that the less you change the less that will go wrong. that is why i would like to stick with a stock position turbo.

Thank you all for the help you have provided thus far!

EH!!! mine is a lateral performance hybrid GT30R capabale of 550bhp flywheel power and mine is about as good as they get !!! where are you gonna get a gt30r to give you 450whp ????

just out of curiousity is yours a standard engine ????
Old 03 August 2007, 10:32 PM
jnorth85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
EH!!! mine is a lateral performance hybrid GT30R capabale of 550bhp flywheel power and mine is about as good as they get !!! where are you gonna get a gt30r to give you 450whp ????

just out of curiousity is yours a standard engine ????
it is a standard 2.5 engine.

on race gas with a small APS SR40 i made nearly 400whp.

A 30R will easily reach 450whp it is a much larger turbo than my SR40.

Full-Race Motorsports they make some of the best turbo kits avaliable.