Notices

seeking free workshop manual.& short block

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2007, 05:31 PM
one-ina-million
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy seeking free workshop manual.& short block

rite guys,new to this site so hello to every one,..just bought a wrx sti type r on sunday, blew up on monday on way home {big ends} so am well **** ed. ..looking for a workshop manual, and a good short block,for a 1997 model....can anyone help me please..
Old 01 August 2007, 06:55 PM
dansti300
Scooby Regular

ebay for workshop manual
and recon your own block
cheers dan
Old 01 August 2007, 07:15 PM
one-ina-million
Scooby Newbie

Smile

is it viable to do that.i was told the crank would be knackered,and was quoted £2k to repare my engine {standered spec}..do u recommend anyone for the repairs,ayrshire,
Old 01 August 2007, 07:46 PM
dansti300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by one-ina-million
is it viable to do that.i was told the crank would be knackered,and was quoted £2k to repare my engine {standered spec}..do u recommend anyone for the repairs,ayrshire,
sorry dont know anyone from there. your big ends will cost you bout 70 quid for acl race spec and your crank should be fine if they have just gone and you have nt been driving it.
cheers dan
Old 01 August 2007, 07:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

rite guys,new to this site so hello to every one,..just bought a wrx sti type r on sunday, blew up on monday on way home {big ends} so am well **** ed. ..looking for a workshop manual, and a good short block,for a 1997 model....can anyone help me please..
Hi there, this is a bit of a bugger.

One thing, what about taking the car back and getting a refund, the car does not sound 'fit for purpose' to use the trading standards lingo.
Old 01 August 2007, 07:57 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

As above i would be talking to the seller and if you draw a blank then consider the options on a rebuild.
Old 01 August 2007, 08:07 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a trader give it a go if its a private seller you dont really have a leg to stand on.. I'm sure loads of people well stand up and say otherwise but I've never heard of a case like that being successful

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2007, 08:16 PM
one-ina-million
Scooby Newbie

bought the car from a garage in birmingham and am from ayrshire..{350 miles plus}..in talks with the garage at the moment,looks like he mite stump up for the parts but not holding my breath...mite have to go down the road of trading standards but hope not,....dan do u have a number or web site addy that i can get the shells and gaskets,could anyone sujest any other work that i would be advised to do while the engine is out.thanks for your help guys...verry trying time for me as you can imagine
Old 01 August 2007, 09:32 PM
dansti300
Scooby Regular

bought the car from a garage in birmingham and am from ayrshire..{350 miles plus}..in talks with the garage at the moment,looks like he mite stump up for the parts but not holding my breath...mite have to go down the road of trading standards but hope not,....dan do u have a number or web site addy that i can get the shells and gaskets,could anyone sujest any other work that i would be advised to do while the engine is out.thanks for your help guys...verry trying time for me as you can imagine
the number is 01274 733541 it called drakes very helpful and not badly priced. hope the garage sorts your car for you mate may aswell get main bearings aswell and new oil pump they do tripple layer steel gaskets for 40 quid each plus vat
cheers dan
Old 01 August 2007, 09:55 PM
one-ina-million
Scooby Newbie

thanks dan you have been verry helpfull,will also change oil cooler to.will keep u posted
Old 01 August 2007, 09:57 PM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

best of luck mate.
Old 02 August 2007, 12:06 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

If you've done your big ends dont **** about by re using or re grinding your crank. Get a new one.

Mark from Lateral Performance will do you a fantastic deal on both bearings and a crank.

If you do the work yourself you'll be looking at around £1000 to sort it.

Bearings will cost you around £180 for ACL lead copper ( what most of the big power lot use)
Crank around £400
Full engine gasket set £300
Sundries £100

My advice is if you're mechanically compitent then go for it.

I started without a clue. I bought a cd manual on ebay for a fiver and £300 worth of tools from Halfords. As well as looking after and modifying my own car I have now done several rebuilds for other people.

I would also suggest getting the RCM Modified oil pump for around £170 too.

This has an uprated pressure relief valve the lack of which in your standard pump probably stuck and caused your big end failure.

Like i said if your compitent with the spanners go for it, you'll save yourself a fortune.
I've documented my whole rebuild in the projects section:
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ssic-2-0l.html

Worth a read if your going to takle it yourself.

Daz