Notices

power steering resevoir leak

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 09:47 PM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default power steering resevoir leak

My power steering resevoir is leaking somewhere , is this a common problem and does anybody know how much a second hand one costs ,car is a 93 wrx

cheers.
Old 30 July 2007, 10:27 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just found exactly the same problem on mine, not sure how long it has been like that cos about 3 months ago my top rad hose went and splurted coolant everywhere, and i though it was the residue left from that.

ill keep an eye on this thread for some further info
Old 31 July 2007, 02:36 AM
djquest
Scooby Regular

hi, i brought mine from subaru-heaven on ebay, got it for around £35 delivered. i just called them up and paid via paypal. however i only changed my power steering when it died. not when it was leaking.

another thing to note is that i went through 3 second hand power steering pumps because they all failed on me after couple of months. keep in mind second power steering pumps have no gurantees.

When it was leaking i topped it up with power steering fuild plus added the powersteering sealent liquid ( cant remember what it is called ). This stopped the leaks. This all depends on how bad your leak is. if you leak is with the rubbber o ring which is just under the tank. you can buy this from a subaru dealer and just replace the orignal worn one. i hope this helps regards djquest
Old 31 July 2007, 09:30 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djquest
hi, i brought mine from subaru-heaven on ebay, got it for around £35 delivered. i just called them up and paid via paypal. however i only changed my power steering when it died. not when it was leaking.

another thing to note is that i went through 3 second hand power steering pumps because they all failed on me after couple of months. keep in mind second power steering pumps have no gurantees.

When it was leaking i topped it up with power steering fuild plus added the powersteering sealent liquid ( cant remember what it is called ). This stopped the leaks. This all depends on how bad your leak is. if you leak is with the rubbber o ring which is just under the tank. you can buy this from a subaru dealer and just replace the orignal worn one. i hope this helps regards djquest

thanks for the info
Old 31 July 2007, 10:48 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Try replacing the o-ring at the bottom of the reservoir where it meets the pump first. It went on mine and is a very common problem.

Better to spend a couple of quid trying that than buy a whole new pump you dont actually need.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:30 AM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i will try the o ring first cheers for that