Notices

Classic Sti - Overheating on Boost - help please ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 09:26 AM
harvey_tim
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Sti - Overheating on Boost - help please ?

Hi All

I have a 1994 Impreza Sti and am getting a strange overheating problem - any help or advice from the forum would be much appreciated.

When driven around town, stop starting through traffic etc. the temperature is completely fine even with the odd bit of heavy acceleration, also if driven normally at motorway speeds everything is fine. However get it on some clear road and accelerate very hard to the red line through the gears and it overheats very rapidly.

I have checked for oil in the water and vice versa, also it does not seem to be losing water or blowing vapour from the exhaust - so I hope this rules out a head gasket problem.

I have replaced the radiator tank cap with a brand new item in case it was losing pressure but that has not made any difference. I have noticed that the bottom right hand radiator hose does not seem to get anything more than a little warm, even when the engine has overheated also (and this may be my imagination) the heater seem to blow intermitantly between hot and cold even when the engine is overheated. Could this be some sort of blockage or airlock problem ?

I have not checked the thermostat yet as I assume if it had failed then the engine would overheat all the time ?

Any other ideas ? - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 30 July 2007, 09:58 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

personally I would change the stat. For the cost of them its worth changing it.
Old 30 July 2007, 10:29 AM
AndyB_WRX
Scooby Regular

I agree with Jay, change the thermostat, sounds like it might not be opening all the way