Notices

ECU remapping. Beginner question.

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2007, 10:55 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU remapping. Beginner question.

Some words of wisdom needed please.
Can someone enlighten me on ECU remapping and different ECUs.

I've got an MY99 uk turbo

I've gathered by now that basically any mod to the turbo engine needs to be coupled with an ecu remap bacause the standard map doesn't have the scope to account for greater differences in flow/fueling etc.

So a remap is needed to increase boost, fuel etc.
Can the standard ecu be rammped by just taking the car to a mapper with a RR and having him set it up and map it again. Or do I need a piggyback ecu or aftermarket one.

Spending a grand for add-ons can net you twice as much gains on a turbo Vs n/a but then you still need the management sorted and that's where it gets a litte bit more expensive.

Thanks

Damien
Old 30 July 2007, 12:15 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your car there is Ecutek (www.ecutek.com).
There are loads of remappable ecus (Hydra,Apexi powerfc,Gems,Link,Motec,AEM,Autronic etc).
Old 30 July 2007, 09:30 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Don't jump to quick on the remap bandwagon, you can sefely increase boost to just under the stock fuel cut as they all seem to be safely mapped to that level, also some exhaust and inlet changes will be OK.

a 99MY cannot strictly be mapped, it can however be flashed using ECUtek or 'the other' system on the market (don't know the name), whereas the 01 on can actually be live mapped, this makes the process of change/test evaluate/next change slower on the 99MY.

Simon
Old 30 July 2007, 09:54 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Not quite true there Simon.

Ecutek is the only mechanism for reflashing MY99/00 ECUs.

The MY01 on ECUs also have to be reflashed, there are a small number of things that can be adjusted dynamically but the ECU still has to be reflashed in order to remap it.

What the Denso ECUs have over the Hitachi/JECS units is that the entire flash memory not have to be erased and reflashed each time, only the required blocks need to be rewritten.

Andrew...
Old 30 July 2007, 03:08 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Andrew apologies, Mocom use something else but I hadn't spotted it was 01-> only.

Simon
Old 30 July 2007, 11:31 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Don't jump to quick on the remap bandwagon, you can sefely increase boost to just under the stock fuel cut as they all seem to be safely mapped to that level, also some exhaust and inlet changes will be OK.

a 99MY cannot strictly be mapped, it can however be flashed using ECUtek or 'the other' system on the market (don't know the name), whereas the 01 on can actually be live mapped, this makes the process of change/test evaluate/next change slower on the 99MY.

Simon
So a boost controller would do the job with some minor mods?
Stupid wuestion but is there a way to tell how much extra boost to give it say if you had a decat centre cection, back box and panel filter. Or is it a case of press the button and see what happens?

Cheers for the replies.

Damien
Old 31 July 2007, 10:47 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual boost controller like a Dawes device 3 Bar Racing---Home Page will be set to a boost level when fitted to your car and only be altered by opening the bonnet and fiddling with it.

Boost Controllers - Thor Racing (Japanese Performance Car Tuning) this shows a few examples of electronic boost controllers which you can fiddle about with settings in car

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2007, 01:06 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

When you up the boost with a dawes or other mechanical boost controller, make sure you know your oe boost and new boost levels and have a knock sensor or det cans for safety, oh and watch out for the fuel cut - suggest testing on a quiet road as it can be bad timing when the fuel cut kills your power for a few seconds.
Old 31 July 2007, 01:08 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

When I set up my boost, I used a cheapy gauge (relative values is all you need) kept upping the boost in steps until I found the boost cut and dropped it back a bit, then dropped it back to stock and got the AFR's and det checked, all OK. Guage was a pipe through the door and bluetacked to the dash, only fitted when doing any mods then removed.

Simon
Old 31 July 2007, 07:23 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Cheers!