Notices

Premature Det on 02 STi Tpye UK

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2007, 12:56 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Premature Det on 02 STi Type UK

I just did a compression test on my Type UK 02 STi and got 125psi on number 1,2 & 4 and 110psi on number 3.

The reason for doing the compresion test was because the mapping session I just had on Monday did go to plan coming home with 322hp/302lbs/ft torque.

The lowish figures were due to det rearing its ugly head, (was expecting 330hp+ with similar torque).

I think I have the wrong plugs in for starters PFR7B's aren't the best when I read up on them. They need too much power from the coil to give a good big spark so I'm changing to Denso VK22 iridiums and open the gap to 0.7mm. This should be ok as the electrode tip is only 0.4mm diameter and with the electrode being iridium it will need less power to make a bigger spark.

The 2nd reason could be oil blowing past the rings, thought of because I have piston slap when the engine is cold, but the engine uses no oil???

The 3rd reason could be bad fuel??? I was on V-Power so that would be doubtfull.

The compression test was to try and check for worn bores/rings but I doubt my results can comfirm either way to be honest.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Northern Nick; 28 July 2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 28 July 2007, 04:56 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have had similar, my car normally puts out 360 but only gave 340 on a power run due to det. After a chat it was agreed that the it was more than likely a poor batch of fuel. A month after on a shootout it gave 362 but I did put a bottle of millers in for safety. It could be worth using some injector cleaner and running a couplke of tanks through then get a power run.
Old 28 July 2007, 05:09 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of some kinda fuel additive to help on the injector front, I forgot to say that it was mentioned that a dirty injector could be at fault.

Also the ignition multiplier had reduced its......er.......multiplier from 16 to 8 so this could have been going on for a while.

Can you recommend a injector cleaner, I'm running no cats so that shouldn't cause any issues.
Old 28 July 2007, 11:52 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick

I'm not sure exactly what you are running but a true 322 BHP / 302 Lbf looks pretty good for a Bugeye STi / decat with a remap

Shaun
Old 29 July 2007, 12:24 AM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Maybe so, I'm not 100% sure as I am quite new to the new age but I've seen plenty of STi8's with "350hp". But as you insinuated, hp is dependant on the RR and the operator.

The car doesn't feel as quick as my Celica was 320hp and my celica only had 280lbs/ft but it was maybe a tad lighter.

I'd like a bit more out of it so maybe FMIC is the way to go?

Does anybody think my compression figures are anything to worry about?