Notices

Crankshaft front pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 09:13 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crankshaft front pulley bolt

Difficult to describe but ... when the engine is ticking over, should this bolt appear to be 'stationary' with blurred edges as it rotates about its axis, or does it move about relative to the engine block?

I'll have a look when its cooled down to see if I can feel any play, but with the tightness of the belts, I doubt this will be possible manually.
Old 20 July 2007, 09:44 AM
Scooby Senior

it's connected to the crank so should turn at the same revs that the crank does and be completely straight which may be why it looks stationary. if it was stationary it wouldnt be on there after you cranking the engine and looking

Adam
Old 20 July 2007, 12:35 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I understand that, and would imagine that the bolt is fixed axially to the crank which is rotating and therefore there can be no relative movement to the block, and if there was, then presumably oil would be pouring out onto the floor The effect I see is almost as if the crank was floating, or the bolt is slightly eccentric, so appears to 'wobble' about its axis more than I would expect.

I was wondering if they all look like that or if they look dead stable?
Old 20 July 2007, 12:54 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

You can get a run out of the bolt head.

Standard bolts have very open tolerances on all but the thread's. The head is not necessarily concentric to the thread diameter, and there could well be a run out from the thread to the main bearing diamaters depending on the manufacturing process and order it was machined in.

You could very easily have a stack up of tolerances that means it will visually look to be 'wobbling' i.e not concentric to the datum journals.

If the keyway is in, the bolt is tight, and the outer diameter of the pulley looks to be true then don't worry.