Notices

Best power upgrade path from MY04 WRX PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2007, 10:53 AM
silverstealth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best power upgrade path from MY04 WRX PPP?

Already have MY04 WRX with PPP, but want more for my track days. I believe the PPP puts out 260ish bhp.

Ideally I would like a switchable setup, as I don't want FULL power all the time in day to day driving. PPP is fairly normal below 3k revs, with a nice surge upwards of that but on the track it just doesn't have the grunt I crave.

Don't really want to spend too much, but do want the car to run properly, ie not lean etc. What would people suggest - an APEXI or such like, but I believe they have problems upping boost on part revs? I would not be looking to make monster BHP, just 300-350 at max.

My other car is an Audi and I have a switchable program that lets it run standard, extra go with 95RON, 98RON or 100RON.
Old 14 July 2007, 10:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change your brake and suspension set up, will give you that little bit more you need rather than increasing your power

Tony
Old 14 July 2007, 12:25 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Unfortunately, upping the power from the ppp kit will cost you a fair whack.

If you're looking at say 290bhp, you could probably stay with your current td04 turbo. However, you'd need to replace the downpipe cat to a sports cat or a de-cat down pipe, the up-pipe (from headers to turbo) needs to be decatted as well (not sure if this is done as part of the PPP), the centre cat needs to be decatted. That lot above will set you back about 500 if you buy new parts (decat downpipe) or 700 if you buy a downpipe with sports cat. Add a remap as well (about 650'ish for an ecutek3 remap). Having said that, stainless steel exhaust components are usually ok even if they are used, so you could save some money by buying them used off ebay.

If you want to go further, you need to change the turbo (vf34 is about 300 quid used), or an andy forrest hybrid td04 (http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk). You also need a fuel pump (85 quid'ish) and possibly an air filter. With the VF34 you'd expect to see about 330 bhp or a little bit more
Old 14 July 2007, 12:25 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't be a case of just adding a boost controller to reach those power levels.
Over 300 will need a new turbo. Fuelling needs bumping up and the exhaust needs less back pressure. This is all capped off with a remap.
Budget about 2.5 K to get up to those levels.

I went from a wrx ppp wagon to 340ish which cost about £1800 using 2nd hand parts from an STi PPP plus a remap.
The brakes were already Prodrive Alcons which were brill ,but the std suspension was the big let down.

Nick
Old 14 July 2007, 02:49 PM
silverstealth
Scooby Regular

Butty, what parts did that include? I'm guessing intercooler, turbo, injectors and fuel pump.

What if I just went for 300 ish? Could I buy/use part of the above to get there and maybe set myself up for the rest later?

Does anyone make a switchable mode setup for the scooby? Even if they do can I get specific maps (town driving & track day) made on rolling road by Ecutek?

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.
Old 14 July 2007, 03:28 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silverstealth
Butty, what parts did that include? I'm guessing intercooler, turbo, injectors and fuel pump.

What if I just went for 300 ish? Could I buy/use part of the above to get there and maybe set myself up for the rest later?

Does anyone make a switchable mode setup for the scooby? Even if they do can I get specific maps (town driving & track day) made on rolling road by Ecutek?

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.
If you can make do with 300bhp (which is plenty), you can probably make do with 280-290bhp from you existing TD04 and the mods Henrik describes.
Old 14 July 2007, 11:16 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your on the right lines:

VF35 turbo
Pink injectors
STi intercooler and scoop under tray
Prodrive (Walbro fuel pump)
Zen Performance remap
Prodrive sports cat
STi up-pipe
3 port boost solenoid
Minor bits like ported headers and snorkelectomy
new plugs & panel air filter

So the major parts can all be sourced from trashed or modded STi PPPs.

The car was used for a lot of commuting but was far more more driveable than the std PPP with the bonus of better fuel consumption - yet it could be played with when needed, so no need for switchable maps.

Unfortunately 300 hp is just over the level where a new turbo is needed.

Nick
Old 14 July 2007, 11:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Two routes IMHO,

1. Buy an STi

2. Look left
<-----------

Chassis & suspension