Old 13 July 2007, 12:19 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye and blobeye sti Questions

How many Cat's are on both of these cars as standard

My car is a blobeye STi with PPP

My mates car is a standard bugeye STI

We are hoping to book andy forrest shortly for a joint remap.

My mate knows he has to buy a higher flow fuel pump and decat the downpipe but like me he doesn't want to have something that sounds like its about to take off.

From what i have read and been told by mappers around the country my PPP downpipe flows just as much as any decatted version... so i'm not going to bother changing anything.

Cheers
Rob
Old 13 July 2007, 07:21 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two cats: one in the down-pipe, one in the cat pipe (which is the next bit along). Most people leave the down-pipe one (if they aren't going fully de-cat anyway) and remove the cat-pipe one because a) it's a lot easier, and b) removing the cat-pipe cat makes more difference. This would probably be OK for up to about 330bhp, as the down-pipe cat only loses you about 10bhp I believe. More power than thot though, and I'd suggest a proper sports cat. It's worth noting that the PPP fits a sports cat, so Prodrive obviously think the default items are a bit restrictive.

M
Old 13 July 2007, 10:41 AM
SKS
Scooby Regular

How many Cat's are on both of these cars as standard

My car is a blobeye STi with PPP
(Single 200 cell hi flow 'sports cat' in the DP)

My mates car is a standard bugeye STI
(Standard factory cat in DP and additional small cat between the DP and centre exhaust section)

We are hoping to book andy forrest shortly for a joint remap.

My mate knows he has to buy a higher flow fuel pump and decat the downpipe but like me he doesn't want to have something that sounds like its about to take off.

From what i have read and been told by mappers around the country my PPP downpipe flows just as much as any decatted version... so i'm not going to bother changing anything.
Rob - as above for what's on the cars.
Had a good look and chat about this before Andy did my remap. Your PPP set up will see you down very few bhp over a decat however you won't spool as fast or be as torquey (There is still a restriction in the DP) BUT, you'll be fully legal and won't have to b*gger around with your car come MOT time.
If your mate is considering decat, probably worth going the whole hog as (according to the blokes at H&S and others) leaving the last cat in on it's own is a waste of time. It will cost you performance and is far enough away from the engine that it won't get hot enough to pass emissions either (unless you utterly roast the thing). That's why Prodrive set up as they do.

Plan B for your mate might be better getting a similar set up to you - usually a few PPP DPs and cat delete pipes for sale on here or a well know auction site . Reasonable prices.

Also worth doing would be porting and wrapping headers and up-pipes. Will really improve spool and torque and worth doing especially if you both stay emissions legal - every little helps, eh!

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 13 July 2007, 12:58 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SKS
Rob - as above for what's on the cars.
Had a good look and chat about this before Andy did my remap. Your PPP set up will see you down very few bhp over a decat however you won't spool as fast or be as torquey (There is still a restriction in the DP) BUT, you'll be fully legal and won't have to b*gger around with your car come MOT time.
If your mate is considering decat, probably worth going the whole hog as (according to the blokes at H&S and others) leaving the last cat in on it's own is a waste of time. It will cost you performance and is far enough away from the engine that it won't get hot enough to pass emissions either (unless you utterly roast the thing). That's why Prodrive set up as they do.

Plan B for your mate might be better getting a similar set up to you - usually a few PPP DPs and cat delete pipes for sale on here or a well know auction site . Reasonable prices.

Also worth doing would be porting and wrapping headers and up-pipes. Will really improve spool and torque and worth doing especially if you both stay emissions legal - every little helps, eh!

Cheers,

Stewart.
Thanks for that Stewart, very helpful.

Would you happen to know where i could get ported and wrapped headers.? Could do with someone that does them on an exchange basis. I would really like to get a set before the remap.

Thanks agian.
Old 13 July 2007, 04:50 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Would you happen to know where i could get ported and wrapped headers.? Could do with someone that does them on an exchange basis.
No probs fella
Harvey Smith (posts on SNet as harvey) does them and has a very good rep. Also, Zak at Mocom (posts as Mocom Racing) does them off the shelf exchange too. Sure I've seen others offering the service but no more names spring to mind.

Cheers,

Stewart.