Scooby feels laggy lately ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 11:15 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scooby feels laggy lately ??

Hey guys and gals,

Just lately my WRX Bugeye has been feeling a bit 'laggy' on the turbo pickup / acceleration. Got a standard system plus standard air filter. It recently had a service but only the oil has been changed. The air filter, plugs and belts were all ok until the next service. About a week ago the car has felt a bit groggy in acceleration - you know how you get a feel for your car after driving it every day and it sometimes feels 'different' in some way, anyone else get that ? - lately, its been doing it alot. For example, in 2nd or 3rd gear I put my foot down a little and should feel the instant torque but I just dont feel that oomph unless I put my foot to the floor and all of a sudden the turbo kicks in and off I go.

Is there a common cause for your Scooby to feel a bit 'laggy'? I know that standard pickup on the turbo is sometimes slow unless you increase your flow rate and chip your ECU but there is definately some thing different lately.

Any ideas? The first that springs to mind is the MAF Sensor?

Would appreciate your help.

M.
Old 09 July 2007, 11:51 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ambient temperature makes a lot of difference. My old uk turbo with an eckutek map would run as high as 16psi of boost on a cold winters night and as low as 12psi on a hot summers day. Have you got a boost gauge?
Old 09 July 2007, 11:56 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Ambient temperature makes a lot of difference. My old uk turbo with an eckutek map would run as high as 16psi of boost on a cold winters night and as low as 12psi on a hot summers day. Have you got a boost gauge?
I havent, I was thinking of getting one, Subaru do one that mounts on the side of the steering column, surely its not just the weather though, is it???!? This may sound like a silly question but if there was something wrong, would I 'definately' know about it with a loud noise or extreme lag like a misfire etc? Basically, it just feels a bit sluggish at the mo...

M.
Old 09 July 2007, 12:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually, if it's a MAF problem, the car tends to feel faster rather than slower.
What fuel do you use? When was the fuel filter last changed? Have you checked your tyre pressures lately? What are the oil/coolant levels like?
Old 09 July 2007, 04:37 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

I always use Shell V Power, not sure when Filter was last changed, probably a year ago, I'd guess, Id have to check the service sheet. Tyres pressures are all even on just under 40 um, bar or psi, cant think which, oil level is fine and so is the coolant. This is the weird thing, all the most common things seem to be fine. If it was the plugs, would I have no power at all? If it were the turbo, would I hear a horrible noise? Am I loosing pressure somewhere?

Anything else, anyone can think of?...Belts? Would they lessen performance if they are loose or something?

Cheers, M.