Notices

AutoGauge Boost 7 colour wiring Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2007, 10:31 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoGauge Boost 7 colour wiring Help!!!

Hi all,

I have an Autogauge boost gauge which is all plumbed in but this particular one has a 7 colour display. I lost the instructions and can't figure out which of the leads I need to connect to get the light working!!

I have the perfect place to tap from as I have mounted this in the center dash, but could do with some help determining which wires to connect.

I have - Black (grnd), Yellow (?power?), Purple??? and orange ????

Does anyone have one of these and can they help me figure it out. Would be greatly appreciated as I would love to see it in the dark!!

Old 04 July 2007, 11:17 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I used to have one of them.

I can't remember the actual colours, but i (think I) remember what the wires are used for...

One wire should be a constant 12V feed, as this is what keeps the gauges memory (so that it remember what colour you set last time).

The other one is a switched 12V feed (ignition).

The third one is the dash illumination wire.

Having said that, it feels kind of weird that you'd need a 12V ignition, so I may be completely wrong, but that is how I remember it

The best way is to play around with the different wires and a 12V source and see what happens when you disconnect the different wires
Old 04 July 2007, 03:00 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Henrik. Going to just start connecting up. Can only be one of a limited combination of connections! At least I know which is the ground!

If anyone knows though for this specific type, it would save me some tinkering!

Many thanks.
Old 04 July 2007, 03:24 PM
Flix
Scooby Regular

I've just bought one,wire as following.
Rear of gauge
Black--earth
Green--boost sensor white
Red--ignition +

Sensor.
Black--earth
Red--ign +
White--Gauge green

For the gauge backlight.
Day , Night
White scale , White scale , White wire to ACC
Amber , Amber , Orange wire to Acc
Amber , White , White to sidelight,Orange to ACC
White , Amber , White to ACC,Orange tosidelight.

Hope you understand this,I dont

Chris

Last edited by Flix; 04 July 2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04 July 2007, 04:03 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, not quite sure I get those instructions though. Think my gauge is a different one as I have:

Black
Yellow
Orange
Purple

Guessed that black is ground, but the others I don't know. I hope they standardise some of the colours so orange is always ACC but they may not. Would make life much easier though hey
Old 04 July 2007, 08:25 PM
gavs scooby
Scooby Regular

hey mate ive got one of these gauges and couldnt make head nor **** of the instructions. join all the wires apart from the black one,solder the 3 wires into 1 then scotch lock the 3 wires to the live and the black1 to the earth on your *** lighter, job done
Old 05 July 2007, 09:28 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Does your boost gauge permantly display a light when wired this way? Which live did you tap into? I was going to use the live and the ground from the lighter wiring, is this what you did?

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2007, 01:42 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

For anyone needing to wire one of these I have just figured it out.

Black wire - Ground
Purple Wire - Illuminate needle
Yellow Wire - Memory (permanent 12v batt) This is to remember the colour last selected.
Orange wire - Illuminate panel.

Note - The colour panel will not illuminate unless you wire up both the Orange and Yellow leads.

I have wired mine slightly differently and have not got it connected to a permanent 12v. Sacrificed the memory but not bothered as the first colour selected is a really nice blue which matches everything else.

Connected as so:

Black wire scotch locked to the black ground on the Cigarette lighter

Orange wire scotch locked to Yellow wire and connected to orange illum cable from Head unit with bullet connector.

Yellow wire fitted with a female bullet connector recepticle, purple wire fitted with a male bullet connector and connected the two together.

With this configuration, all of the power comes from the Orange Illum wire on the HU.

Hope this helps others out.
Old 05 July 2007, 06:34 PM
gavs scooby
Scooby Regular

all i done mate was joined all the wires then scotch locked them to the live wire on the *** lighter bulb and the same with the earth wire. hey presto lights up only whe you turn the lights on
Old 04 July 2009, 12:04 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just digging this old thread up cos it came in very handy when I installed a Boost Autogauge I bought recently from *ahem* Halfords *ahem*.

As gavs mentioned above, I did the same and joined all the coloured wires together by soldering the ends together and then using another peice of wire to extend it to reach the cigarette lighter. As for the negative black wire I just extended it the same length as the other wires to reach the cigarette lighter also. Then scotch lock the wires to the cigarette lighter wires. I found out that the yellow/red wire on the cig lighter is constant +12v and the purple one is +12v for the cigarette lighter bulb only and comes on when you put the headlights on. I connected mine to the purple wire cos I didnt see the point in illuminating the gauge in daylight. Scotch lock the black negative wires together.

So just to clarify...

Coloured wires from Gauge > connected together > extend length of wire > connect to purple wire on cigarette lighter.

Black negative wire from Gauge > extend length of wire > connect to black wire on cig lighter.

As simog said above, these are the wire details...

Black wire - Ground
Purple Wire - Illuminate needle
Yellow Wire - Memory (permanent 12v batt) This is to remember the colour last selected.
Orange wire - Illuminate panel.

I plumbed the boost vac line down behind the A pillar, through the bulk head and T peiced into the Dump valve vac line. About 4 metres of hose in total.