Notices

Type R V5

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 10:12 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R V5

Hi guys, i have finally bought a scooby!
I have noticed when i reverse and turn at the same time it feels weired like its dragging something or like the handbreak is on, im woryed that its something thats gonna cost me big money!?
Old 29 June 2007, 10:15 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Make sure your DCCD is set in the open position when reversing or slow parking turns etc.

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...anslation.html

Last edited by richiewong; 29 June 2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:38 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Thats alot of good reading, thanks.
Basically, to not get this "problem" is i need to have the power to the rear wheels, or have te handbreak up a notch, have i read this right yea?

If so im still not sure which way you have the controll to have it from 50-50 to 36-64
And which is the best position to have it on normal road conditions (Im guessing its 50-50)
Old 29 June 2007, 12:02 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Phil for the majority of the time just have it set to fully open so the first green light, now if it rains and you feel the back end getting a little excited turn it forward a couple of clicks.
For reversing and parking always have it fully open and you wont get any dodgy noises.

Banny
Old 30 June 2007, 12:13 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Thanks Banny, so allways on the 1st green light will be fine for driving and reversing, im assuming this is 36%-65% to the rear, thn as i wind it forward it gets closer to 50%-50% which is ideal for wet weather lol, if thats right thn im undrerstanding it
Which position is best for say a good launch at Santa pod 1/4 mile? 50%-50%?
And also why is it better to have the power to the rear wheels for normal driving conditions?
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 01 July 2007, 09:33 AM
richiewong
Twatful

I heard full lock is good for launches, I remember lighting up the rears on my old one a few times just pulling away hard from traffic lights

Just left it fully open for most driving except in the wet, nice rear end oversteer and no understeer, great handling which most Subaru's don't have, just grip.
Old 03 July 2007, 01:54 AM
The Seer
Scooby Regular

I have a v5 Type-R. Becareful with it's rear end. I had mine two weeks and crashed it on an exit from a roundabout. The road wasn't wet, but greasy in patches, caught me out. Road surface felt fine until that point.

I always use the second green light on the DCCD even in the dry. It won't damage it. Though I always wind back for tight manouvers in forward and reverse.

I use the 1st amber in the wet (and will be doing when the roads become cold and greasy again!). Check the Type R RA forum for further advice on our special cars.

50/50 is the preferred setting for straight lining up the strip. Beware, clutches can be killed very quickly!
Old 03 July 2007, 02:31 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.

Don't forget, you're not altering the percentage amount of drive front to rear, you're altering the percentage amount of slip difference, between the front and rear axles.
Old 03 July 2007, 07:56 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Oh right, so green is power to the rear,, orange is equal all round
Thing im begining to understand it now.

The Steer.... When you say tight manovers, do you mean parking and stuff?
Old 03 July 2007, 09:55 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Phildodd06

Read our last post above, the DCCD doesn't alter the amount of "drive" at all, it is a differential which is adjustable. The thumb wheel alters tha amount of slip differential allowed by the diff from front to rear.

Normal road stuff, anywhere in the green or into 1 orange. then it can be rolled forward a segment atr a time based on how slippy the road is. next orange would be heavy standing water Etc, the last orange IIRC equates to heavy/packed snow or ice.
Old 03 July 2007, 10:39 AM
The Seer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phildodd06

Exactly. That's why it'll feel like it doesn't want to turn at slow speeds and corners with tight angles.

As the usual cars suffer from understeer, Subaru decided to try and curb this by making the Type-R and RA versions oversteer instead. Fine for areas with large run offs (aero dromes and tracks) where one can learn the car with out risk of damaging it, but not so good for public roads.

However the front diff hardly has any slip to it what so ever. As you can feel once the DCCD is altered and trying to turn at slow speeds. Since not all power is allowed to the rear.

I reckon if you were to wind it all the way forward and drive the car on loose surfaces (gravel etc), once oversteer is engaged, maybe via the handbrake you could use your throttle to give a neutral drift or a necessary amount of understeer to bring the nose away from the apex and correct your current line. i.e. similiar set up that some rally cars use.

Average WRX cars have a looser front diff and will be faster on long sweepers generally. As they can get on the power before we can.

Although Type-R's and RA's can use their handbrakes in tight corners, WRX's can't as it can damage their drive train.

Hope this helps. Well done for buying a version 5. Definately the best looking along with version 6. Is your's in white?
Old 03 July 2007, 11:31 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Seer/all.

Sorry Seer, but all of that last explanation above, while no doubt well intended it is plain and simply entirely incorrect and will give anyone reading the wrong idea as to what is actually happening.

The DCCD is NOT altering the torque split or amount of drive between the front and rear axles in any way at all!

If you imagine the way a normal diff works on the back axle of a 2 wheel drive car.
With a "plain" (non LSD) and with one wheel on tarmac and the other on mud, if you tried to pull away hard, the wheel with least grip will try to drive and the one on tarmac will do virtually nothing, consequently you wouldn't move anywhere at all.

Now in the identical scenario with an LSD, the drive will be split (usually by a set amount) between both driven wheels when the LSD senses that all the drive is going to only 1 wheel.

So, to change the scenario now to suit the 4WD type R. As the car already has diff's front and rear, the centre DCCD acts in exactly the same way as a normal LSD but works from front to back (instead of left to right), with the added bonus that you can adjust the amount of slip allowed from front to back on the thumb wheel.

While it will alter the feel of the handling dependant upon thumb wheel position selected and available surface grip, it doesn't inherrantly alter the understeer issue which is usually more related to steering geometry.

With the centre diff progressively wound forward reducing the amount of slip allowed front to rear, on a high grip surface there is an increasing amount of tyre scrub front to rear as the transmission "winds up" where the different grip levels can't dissipate away as you increase the amount of "lock up" with the diff.

So, if you wind the DCCD fully forward (locked) into the orange section, you will allow zero slip front to rear. If you then try to manouevre the car (inescapably making the front and rear axles travel differing distances), the centre diff won't allow that to happen and will cause the transmission to clunk as it tries to only allow each individual wheel to roll exactly the same distance only.

It's markedly more complex than that in reality as there are a multitude of other factors happening as well, but in essence, that is it.
Old 03 July 2007, 06:15 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Seer
Exactly. That's why it'll feel like it doesn't want to turn at slow speeds and corners with tight angles.

As the usual cars suffer from understeer, Subaru decided to try and curb this by making the Type-R and RA versions oversteer instead. Fine for areas with large run offs (aero dromes and tracks) where one can learn the car with out risk of damaging it, but not so good for public roads.

However the front diff hardly has any slip to it what so ever. As you can feel once the DCCD is altered and trying to turn at slow speeds. Since not all power is allowed to the rear.

I reckon if you were to wind it all the way forward and drive the car on loose surfaces (gravel etc), once oversteer is engaged, maybe via the handbrake you could use your throttle to give a neutral drift or a necessary amount of understeer to bring the nose away from the apex and correct your current line. i.e. similiar set up that some rally cars use.

Average WRX cars have a looser front diff and will be faster on long sweepers generally. As they can get on the power before we can.

Although Type-R's and RA's can use their handbrakes in tight corners, WRX's can't as it can damage their drive train.

Hope this helps. Well done for buying a version 5. Definately the best looking along with version 6. Is your's in white?
Thanks for your reply mate, im new to the Subaru's i owned an RS2000 for the past 4 years
Mines Grey
Old 03 July 2007, 06:21 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania
Hi Seer/all.

Sorry Seer, but all of that last explanation above, while no doubt well intended it is plain and simply entirely incorrect and will give anyone reading the wrong idea as to what is actually happening.

The DCCD is NOT altering the torque split or amount of drive between the front and rear axles in any way at all!

If you imagine the way a normal diff works on the back axle of a 2 wheel drive car.
With a "plain" (non LSD) and with one wheel on tarmac and the other on mud, if you tried to pull away hard, the wheel with least grip will try to drive and the one on tarmac will do virtually nothing, consequently you wouldn't move anywhere at all.

Now in the identical scenario with an LSD, the drive will be split (usually by a set amount) between both driven wheels when the LSD senses that all the drive is going to only 1 wheel.

So, to change the scenario now to suit the 4WD type R. As the car already has diff's front and rear, the centre DCCD acts in exactly the same way as a normal LSD but works from front to back (instead of left to right), with the added bonus that you can adjust the amount of slip allowed from front to back on the thumb wheel.

While it will alter the feel of the handling dependant upon thumb wheel position selected and available surface grip, it doesn't inherrantly alter the understeer issue which is usually more related to steering geometry.

With the centre diff progressively wound forward reducing the amount of slip allowed front to rear, on a high grip surface there is an increasing amount of tyre scrub front to rear as the transmission "winds up" where the different grip levels can't dissipate away as you increase the amount of "lock up" with the diff.

So, if you wind the DCCD fully forward (locked) into the orange section, you will allow zero slip front to rear. If you then try to manouevre the car (inescapably making the front and rear axles travel differing distances), the centre diff won't allow that to happen and will cause the transmission to clunk as it tries to only allow each individual wheel to roll exactly the same distance only.

It's markedly more complex than that in reality as there are a multitude of other factors happening as well, but in essence, that is it.
Thanks for your very well explained reply, i can understand it more now...i think
Im guessing its one of them things ill get to grips with when i start using the car more often.
Old 05 July 2007, 12:43 AM
The Seer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania
Hi Seer/all.

I feel I ought to point out that not all of the info I gave is incorrect.

The handbrake option that Type-R's have over the regular WRX's is certainly true. Also if you say that the DCCD acts like an adjustable LSD, surely some of the torque is transferred to the front when tightening the the centre diff as it can't get to the rear?
Old 05 July 2007, 03:30 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by The Seer
I feel I ought to point out that not all of the info I gave is incorrect.

The handbrake option that Type-R's have over the regular WRX's is certainly true. Also if you say that the DCCD acts like an adjustable LSD, surely some of the torque is transferred to the front when tightening the the centre diff as it can't get to the rear?

Hi.

Well, that's kind of what happens to a degree; It is an electronically controlled differential, which will allow differing amounts of slip from front to rear.

The actual torque split is constant, in that it's set by the gearing and drivetrain set up overall, that doesn't alter. There is a necesary degree of slip allowed though, otherwise, regardless of steering angle, the car would only ever travel in a straight line as each of the 4 wheels rotates at EXACTLY the same rate.

What the DCCD does (front to back only) is progressively restrict the amount of slip that it will allow to the point where it will allow exactly the aportioned amount (dictated by the mechanical torque split) only, with no variance at all.