Notices

ECU AND BOOST ISSUES! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 06:41 PM
jap-sti-555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU AND BOOST ISSUES! HELP PLEASE!

hi folks, im having some issues regarding my ecu and the amount off boost i should achive.
i own a sti2 555 and decided to get an ecu upgrade, i brought this from ebay. the item number for this if you want to check it out is 280128257248

i came to fit this and found out that i already have an after market ecu ( prova with an eprova add on chip.) the guy i brought this from said i should of been running 1.1bar with this ecu but i was only running 0.6bar.

i fitted the new ecu and this reduced boost to 0.5bar which is now lower than the one i removed.

he says that the reason im not getting more boost is due to a fault but i feel the car is not underpowered in any way, im just looking to improve what power i already have. are the boost levels im getting sounding correct? or do i have a fault? also which ecu will be best?

im really confused so if some one can help that would be great, i paid £240 for the new ecu and chip and need to no if i have wasted my money by already having a simular ecu already fitted.

thanks in advance!
Old 28 June 2007, 06:57 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

You haven't wasted your cash. PolarPerformance (Scott T) knows his stuff and very VERY reliable.

You definitely have a problem with the boost on your car as it should be lots higher than 0.6bar even with a standard ecu. Your car is most definitly underpowered with this fault.

My advice to you is listen to what Scott has to say. I had a very similar problem when I chipped my ECU (its common, you aint the only one) and Scott guided me through to solve the problem.

You have chosen one of the better chips.
Old 28 June 2007, 07:04 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan,

what hasn't been mentioned above is that the car in question is running a manual boost controller set at 0.9bar (hence why it does not feel underpowered). On the standard 6K ECU it would be running 0.95bar, so is probably performing about right.

However when running under ECU boost control it only runs 0.6bar when both ECU are mapped to 1.1bar.

I have been through several times that the car should be running more then 0.6bar and that it may be running this for several reasons. None of which are due to either the Prova ECU or the PolarPerformance ECU. However, as this post has been made I can only assume the message isn't getting through, and someone thinks they are being ripped off.......

Obviously the long an informative emails I have been sending over the last few days and also the speed in which I got both the ECU and the remapped Chip out to the person (paid for Monday night, delivered Royal Mail Special Delivery Wednesday morning in accordance with their requirements), means nothing.......
Old 28 June 2007, 07:33 PM
jap-sti-555
Scooby Regular

no no im not in the least ungreatful, please dont get me wrong, im greatful you are trying to help me. im just looking to pick some brains thats all, but it seems you no more than most on here anyway. i just want to get it sorted thats all, i dont think i have been ripped off but i now have 2 simular ecu's and need to no which is best.

the boost controller is now off and the car is running as it should, i will leave it this way untill i have sorted the problem. im just stuck of what to do as i have done checks like you said but am still having problems. if its possible i would like to pop down to you and see if we can get the problem fixed.

please dont think im ungretful because its far from that. thanks!
Old 28 June 2007, 07:47 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

OK glad your listening....I have emailed you an image of the Green connectors so you should be able to find them and make sure the greens are not connected.

Obviously I would be biassed when deciding which ECU is best...I'll leave that for other to help you decide.

As mentioned in the emails you may have a MAF fault causing it to run lean and hence it limits the boost. This does not always flag a CEL as I witnessed this only recently on a WRX Wagon.
This is a worst case scenario, and hopefully not your probelm.

So what your saying now is that you have removed the manual controller, checked the boost controller plumbing and it's still running 0.6bar on both ECU.

another quick check/test you could do it to pull the hose from the bottom of the boost control solenoid. This is the hose from the bottom/base of the solenoid.
There is a brass restrictor in this hose (well there should be, sometimes it gets removed). This can become blocked.

If when removing this you find boost dramatically increases to 1.1bar (and probably beyond), then this hose is totally blocked and your problem
Old 28 June 2007, 07:57 PM
jap-sti-555
Scooby Regular

yes i have removed the controller, its actually slightly down to 0.5 bar with your ecu. was 0.6 with the prova ecu. i have sent you a pic of the solenoid and hoses from it, not sure if this will help. i will look for the restrictor but i dont think it exists. is there a way of telling if the maf is not working correct? if i unplugg the loom end out the light comes on still but not sure if this suggests its still working or not.
Old 28 June 2007, 08:03 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Can't really verify MAF without checking the fuelling.
Old 28 June 2007, 08:24 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jap-sti-555
yes i have removed the controller, its actually slightly down to 0.5 bar with your ecu. was 0.6 with the prova ecu. i have sent you a pic of the solenoid and hoses from it, not sure if this will help. i will look for the restrictor but i dont think it exists. is there a way of telling if the maf is not working correct? if i unplugg the loom end out the light comes on still but not sure if this suggests its still working or not.
Sorry to butt in again. LISTEN to Scott, he says the MAF is 'worst case scenerio'. Forget the MAF for now. Work with Scott and work the problem to a solution. The MAF is step number 99 and you are only on step number 2!

Be patient, it'll get fixed.