Notices

TD05-18G alternative

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2007, 11:31 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD05-18G alternative

With turbo technology advancing so quickly these days i was just wondering if there is a alternative for the good old TD05-18G turbo
Old 28 June 2007, 10:27 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Wink

No.

Next question.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:40 PM
willgill
Scooby Regular

md321h or the sc42 are considered to be very good turbos at the moment
Old 28 June 2007, 12:50 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At double the price!
Old 28 June 2007, 01:47 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by willgill
md321h or the sc42 are considered to be very good turbos at the moment
these are rated to 400+ though and the 18g is 380 v max iirc...

Ian you will have to get one like mine
Old 28 June 2007, 04:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Hoff
At double the price!
Good call.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:52 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
these are rated to 400+ though and the 18g is 380 v max iirc...

Ian you will have to get one like mine
Who said i was getting one Ian, i was just asking the question

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2007, 11:40 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
No.

Next question.
Cheers Adam
Old 29 June 2007, 08:06 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
Who said i was getting one Ian, i was just asking the question
lol, I'll sell you mine in about six months
Old 29 June 2007, 08:46 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
lol, I'll sell you mine in about six months
Should be like new considering how long it's taking you to get your engine running

Runs for cover very quickly
Old 29 June 2007, 08:56 AM
willgill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Hoff
At double the price!
hardly

an andyf 18g is £850

sc42 or md321h are £1200

reasonable increase in performance considering the small price hike
Old 29 June 2007, 09:10 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
Should be like new considering how long it's taking you to get your engine running

Runs for cover very quickly
lol, VERY low mileage
Old 29 June 2007, 10:20 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

One day you'll get a little drive in mine and you'll realise that the 18G is all you ever need for the road, particularly those Kentish roads (or is it roads of Kent?) that put in lots of 90 degree bends for no reason at all.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:38 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
One day you'll get a little drive in mine and you'll realise that the 18G is all you ever need for the road, particularly those Kentish roads (or is it roads of Kent?) that put in lots of 90 degree bends for no reason at all.
hmmm can't wait
Old 29 June 2007, 05:13 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by willgill
hardly

an andyf 18g is £850

sc42 or md321h are £1200

reasonable increase in performance considering the small price hike
Yes quite true, but you can buy them for a lot less if you spend your time looking around especially US turbo suppliers. If you are willing to pay in dollars you can get a lot for your money these days including shipping that'll have a brand new genuine Mitsubishi TD05 variant to your door within a week. Just don't buy the TD05s from 'Japan' that are on ebay. They are fakes.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:37 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Sorry to dig this up, but what makes you say that they are fakes? I am considering a VF34 or one of the TD05 variants from 'warehousejapan' on Ebay as I wasn't planning on having to buy a new turbo and unlike so many others on here in my field of work, I am far from loaded so that counts the likes of Andy F turbos out for me .

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:45 AM
Scooby Senior

lots of reliability issues I've heard.

Wouldn't wan't it to spit a fin into my engine for the sake of buying a cheap turbo. buy cheap, buy twice. (or even another engine)
Old 09 August 2007, 11:04 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

The thing is that I don't regard £450/£500 as being cheap for something that spins around and compresses air to be honest. Hmm, I will have to look at Andy's trade in prices I guess. Do you have any info/links regarding these 'reliability issues' if you don't mind me asking? Not a problem, just curious is all.
Old 09 August 2007, 01:23 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
The thing is that I don't regard £450/£500 as being cheap for something that spins around and compresses air to be honest. Hmm, I will have to look at Andy's trade in prices I guess. Do you have any info/links regarding these 'reliability issues' if you don't mind me asking? Not a problem, just curious is all.
if you can't afford to upgrade to a decent turbo you are best off with sticking with what you have. Fitting a 'cheaper' alternative will only cost you more in the long run. 500 is right, do it once

Keep an eye on the for sale section I brought a six month old AndyF at the beginning of the year.
Old 09 August 2007, 02:05 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Although I have one of Andy's turbo's myself, I wouldn't mind buying one from Autowarehouse Japan. I mean, I doubt they're fakes, seeing as the originals are (probably) made in Japan anyway

I think some of the more expensive 18/20g's are ported somewhat (but I'm not sure if this is true).
Old 09 August 2007, 03:44 PM
fishfire
Scooby Regular

Not an 18G, but I have just bought a Blouch TD05/06-20G from a scooby forum in the states...£500 all in

It is very well worth searching US sites and forums especially as the exchange rate against the dollar is good for us brits!

Turbo manufacturers I looked at (with good reps) were Blouch, Forced Performance, DeadBolt, SlowBoyRacing (SBR) to mention a few.
Old 10 August 2007, 01:43 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Anyone else got anything to say before I probably grab a 18G?
Old 10 August 2007, 01:58 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Sorry to dig this up, but what makes you say that they are fakes? I am considering a VF34 or one of the TD05 variants from 'warehousejapan' on Ebay as I wasn't planning on having to buy a new turbo and unlike so many others on here in my field of work, I am far from loaded so that counts the likes of Andy F turbos out for me .

Cheers,

Nick.
I have recently bought a genuine TD05H 16g from a US website, delivered within a week, all in for around £420, including import tax. Not an 18g; but im sure you could get one!

Have a good look around the different sites, the one I got mine from was:-

Bullseye Power Selector

Steve0
Old 10 August 2007, 01:59 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, I found the websites a little misleading and confusing, so I found it best to email the companies with your request.
Old 10 August 2007, 06:56 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

Nick.
LOL let me assure you I'm probably poorer than you are. Hence I have to be careful where I buy from, I cannot afford to make mistakes. I would rather spend my scraped together £350 on a genuine MHI TD05h-16g from a proper Mitsubishi turbo dealer in the States than going for an on-the-face-of-it better 'Japanese' turbo off of ebay, say an 18g from warehousejapan. I'm not taking the **** here, because I was IN that exact same position and I looked at all the options closely.

I have it on good authority from someone who deals with Imprezas and their turbos day in day out, who ordered a TD05 compressor wheel from that same ebay place and whether it was from Japan or not, he could tell straight away from the look of it that it was a fake. That's good enough for me, seeing as his opinion matched with my own gut feeling having been stitched up buying 'Japanese' stuff on ebay before.

Better to spend the money on a smaller 100% genuine 16G than a fake 18G that may well pack up in a year's time. And if it does, what sort of warranty do you really think you've got with warehousejapan? If you can even get them to agree to it, you'll need to either remove it yourself or pay someone else to get the turbo off again, you'll then have your car off the road for a few weeks, you'll be the one to fork out for shipping to 'Japan' or their 'distribution centre' in Taiwan, and even then they'll only send you a replacement of the same quality, not a refund so you can buy one elsewhere.

OK, you might say what comeback have I got by buying from Bullseyepower in the States, and yes it's the same kind of hassle doing a warranty return if it all goes wrong, but I trust them more than I do autowarehousejapan, because they are a proper company, have a proper website and shop which is their main storefront, not ebay, plus if the worst comes to the worst, I can ring them up in the US and rant at them in English.

So I guess what I'm saying is buy cheap, buy twice. I'm not expecting people to pay a thousand quid for a turbo or even 500. Just be sure that whatever your budget is, you're buying the best genuine stuff you can and not trying to upgrade with a fake. You can take the advice or leave it. It's just I know the horrific sinking feeling you get when you realise you've spent a lot of money on something that isn't what it was made out to be. You'll be gutted.
Old 10 August 2007, 07:25 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I know the horrific sinking feeling you get when you realise you've spent a lot of money on something that isn't what it was made out to be. You'll be gutted.
God, I have had that feeling enough to last me a lifetime . I just don't think that the 16g is a worthwhile upgrade over the vf28 is all. I can see myself not noticing the difference and wanting to blow another chunk of cash just to get the 18 . I will just have to keep on the lookout for a 18g other than on Ebay.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 10 August 2007, 07:56 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

I just don't think that the 16g is a worthwhile upgrade over the vf28 is all..

Cheers,

Nick.
I upgraded to 16g from a vf28, they are completely different turbo's. Personally i think it was more than a worthwhile upgrade. I have had the td04, vf28, vf35 and i prefer hands down the 16g. Will also be upgrading to a 18g but need to save for a replacement gearbox
Old 11 August 2007, 09:31 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

No I know that it's tempting to want to make a big difference with a new turbo. I replaced my original TD04 with a VF35, which was a great upgrade. I then replaced my VF35 with a TD05 to get around a surge issue I had, but as it turns out, with my TD05 I still have the surge. However, the TD05-16g is definitely stronger all the way to the redline than the VF35 was. Not a huge difference, but it's now remapped and making an estimated 320bhp (Does 0-150mph in 28 seconds which to my mind is plenty fast enough for UK roads and for my gearbox!)

I did toy with the idea myself of going to an 18G and aiming for a nice round 350bhp+ and I don't think anyone who has one is disappointed, but then I know it's a slippery slope...bigger injectors, risking my drivetrain etc etc. So rather than thinking of it as an extra couple of hundred quid for an 18G from America, I thought of all the additional cost to support it and realised that it wouldn't stop at an extra £200.

I'm really happy with my 16G. I don't need or want any more power, it hits 1 bar at 3100 rpm on mine and holds 1.45 bar all the way through to the top of the revs, perhaps a little more laggy than I'd like, but then that's what happens when you fit a bigger turbo than standard.

Last edited by silent running; 11 August 2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11 August 2007, 09:40 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

18G from forced performance in the US is circa £550 delivered and as good as anything available here. I have had an 18G on my classic by a well known UK supplier and have now opted for the FP 18G at nearly half the price. Scooby mania and a couple of other UK suppliers are selling and fitting the Forced performance turbos. If you buy from the US direct its a very good deal.

Last edited by scoobystiv8; 11 August 2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11 August 2007, 10:33 AM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

anybody know anything about the md320???

Quick Reply: TD05-18G alternative