What should i do next?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 01:04 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i do next?

Hi all,
I currently have a ukmy95 running 290/290 hp/lbft the mods i have are listed below
gt spec headers and up pie unequal
full magex decatted system with the 6x4 oval box -how restrictive is this exhaust ?
440cc injectors will upgrade to 550s or bigger andwhat make is best?
Autobahn front mount with a stainless steel induction kit-powertec
walbro 255 fuel pump
scooby ecu remapped by scoobyclinic to the 290 figures running a maximum of 15.5psi and peak torque at 4800 is this about right or too high for this turbo? The car does seem to be really flat until 4k and then takes off !
standard tdo5 with the 90 degree entry

What do you think would be the next stage to upgrade as i am looking for around 350 hp what turbo do i need and also will i need a new ecu or will the scooby ecu boost more than 15.5psi? Also what would you recommend is the limit on stock 95 uk internals and stock gear box? I was thinking a td05 18g or a vf34 what wil the difference in spool up be? If i can't use the scooby ecu anymore what ecu should i go for?

Cheers
Phil
Old 26 June 2007, 01:06 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

sorry for all the questions but just could do with some guidance and some opinions would be greatly apreciated
Old 26 June 2007, 08:54 AM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

I Wouldn't stretch to 350 bhp on 95 wrx internals, plenty of people have blown engines and gearboxes at that sort of power.

Probably best to go for 320-330, you can acheive this with your 440 injectors using an adjustable FPR, Would probably be best getting a larger Topmount intercooler over the FMIC as there is not real advantage with that sort of power. Re the turbo, not sure exactly how far the TD05 goes but would be better to go for a VF34 to get near the figures your after.

There are a couple of options regarding the ecu, these guys can help, Jollygreen monster or scott @ Polar performance.
Old 26 June 2007, 05:28 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

I agree about the target keep it at 330 it will life a lot longer.
FMIC is always better than TMIC, so no need to go back.
difference in spool up is negligible.
440cc are ok but use adjustable FPR
TD05-18G is very well suited for this set-up (upto 350hp) and will outspool the VF34. (you can even trade the turbo and get some money back )
leave the exhaust as is.

Ecu should not be the limit (if you have someone to map it)
Old 26 June 2007, 05:58 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sl1000
FMIC is always better than TMIC, so no need to go back.
difference in spool up is negligible.
Not sure everyone would agree with that, Have you driven a 350 Hp scoob with a top mount and one with a FMIC?

The small turbo's struggle to get the air moving through the 3 meters of Pipework resulting in delayed throttle response or lag, also when you dump the boost pressure on a gear change takes longer to build the pressure again, resulting in a slightly slower car.

That said as he has the FMIC already no need to change (misread it earlier)
Old 26 June 2007, 08:37 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input think i am set on going for a td0518g. Am i definately going to have to change ECU's as currently running a standard Z4 ecu mapped by scoobyclinic would this scooby ecu be able to cope with a 18G or will it go past the boost cut and make it a waste of time? If this is the case im thinking of a apexi power fc with commander. As to the fuel regulator can anyone recommend a good one so i can max out these 440's .
Thanks
Phil
Old 26 June 2007, 09:45 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

I've got an Aeromotive regulator which are a well recognised brand, got it from america, worked out to £110 all in, You will need a fuel rail adapter for your rails aswell which is about £15.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:23 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

Without going into the TMIC and FMIC discussion completely.

I actually was one who agreed with you until I changed my standard TMIC for a huge FMIC (600*400*100) with the usual long pipe work.
Still on the TD04.
I had to take a very long look at the pre and post measurements to find differences in spool-up. But it hugely improved charge temps.
So for me even on a TD04 its worth the effort and cost.
Old 27 June 2007, 01:30 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Id prefer a front mount over the top as ive had both and with spirited driving the old top mounts use to get warm so dont think id ever ditch the front. Also as mentioned it took a lot of effort to fit FMIC with a nice hole in my wing and a lot of shaving of the bumper. No more info on this ECU issue as to whether the scooby ecu i have can be further tweaked to attain the 330 i am after or will i have to splash out on this apexi, dont really want to as it will be another grand mapped and fitted. where should i get my 18g from im thinking of trading in at andy forrest
cheers
Old 27 June 2007, 06:11 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

no one?
Old 27 June 2007, 06:18 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the scoobyecu can't be tweaked but if you go to PolarPerformance or Jolly Green Monster - ECU Mapping as the scoobyecu has been replaced by the new generation of chips