Notices

Clicking sound on clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2007, 08:06 PM
cheekyron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound on clutch pedal

Hi, The clutch pedal sometimes makes a clicking sound when it is pressed down. The doesn't always happen but I was wondering if there any known faults with this? My car is a 1999 Turbo 4dr.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 25 June 2007, 08:27 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

sounds daft but your mats aren`t catching the peddle are they? only I thought id got a issue and it was the made to measure mats just fouling.
hth
Brett
Old 25 June 2007, 09:47 PM
cheekyron
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately not, that would be a nice easy fix! The mat is a good few inches clear of the pedal. The 'click' happens when the pedal is almost totally released, it may be fine to leave it (although it will bug me a little) or it may be telling me that something is about to break!
Old 25 June 2007, 09:58 PM
big kris
Scooby Regular

Hey mate I have recently noticed something similar with my clutch pedal. Sometimes when the pedal is travelling up, it seems to pause par way through the motion. Scared it was something serious, I've bled the hydraulic clutch system and put in new fluid. This seems to have made a little difference. However, when I was looking at the pedal lying in the car, I noticed the return spring at the very top of the pedal arm seems to have a little give in it. Instead of the spring simply compressing and expanding, it seems to move up and down as the pedal is pressed. Doesn't seem to make a difference to the actual clutch mechanism, just annoying as you said!

Does this sound similar to yours?

Kris
Old 25 June 2007, 10:29 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

check that the entire pedal box isnt loose. mine was a bit loose causing an annoying rattle.
Old 25 June 2007, 10:34 PM
no1nutter
Scooby Regular

usually just requires adjusting underneath the pedal, u will see a small shaft with to nuts on, 1s a locking nut, loosen 1 use the other to readjust and then retighten - should solve it!
Old 25 June 2007, 10:36 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has always done it, there's nothing wrong with mine.... it's just annoying sometimes!!!
Old 25 June 2007, 10:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Mine is doing this too, most annoying. For me the issue is normally when the pedal is traveling down. The clunk is not always present, sometimes it happens just as you touch the pedal, other times after you have gone through the biting point. On some days I never have a clunk from the pedal at all, other days its each and every gear change.

Had it into the garage on two occasions for them to look at this. There is no adjustment for the assistance spring. One theory is that there has been some play in this mechanism which is causing the issue, so I am due in on Tuesday to have the assistance spring removed entirely.

My mechanic likes this option, as on all the scooby rally cars he removes this spring. He says the spring works against the clutch pedal coming up, and can lead to excessive clutch wear as you cannot release the pedal as fast as you may want. I think this may only affect the rally cars, as I have never had any issues.

The assistance spring is not meant to make that much difference to the weight of the pedal. I will report back on if it solves the problem, and how much heavier the clutch is.
Old 26 June 2007, 01:24 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I thought it was just another feature of Subaru's as mine used to do it too
Old 26 June 2007, 12:27 PM
amazingjames
Scooby Regular

sounds like a clutch ratchet on its way out. the teeth are worn and it begins to slip causing a clicking sound. worth checking to see if its the problem..
Old 26 June 2007, 04:27 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just got back from the garage. Had the assistance spring removed from the clutch pedal assembly with the following results:

1) Effort to depress pedal has increased by about 50%, the difference is noticeable but not an issue out of town. Could be tiring if in stop start traffic
2) Clutch feel has improved without the assistance, everything feels more precise
3) Clutch bite point seems to have altered, pedal is a little higher up in travel when the clutch has fully released
4) Clicking noise appears to have been fixed.

I will confirm point 4 in a few days time.
Old 26 June 2007, 11:34 PM
cheekyron
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, I don't think I'll be having the spring removed as most of my driving is around town so a heavy clutch is not an option really. I'll get the clutch ratchet checked but sods law, since I've been 'monitoring' it, it has stopped doing it....hmmmm