Notices

What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2007, 05:49 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What could it be?

Ok, I have posted uo in a different thread but thought I would now open up my own one on the same subject!

I have recently purchased a ECU (from a SN member) that had been chipped by Polar Performance. I have had problems with not having a check engine light on, but that has now been sorted The chip is set to run with 3" de-catted exhaust and an induction kit. My car of course meets the criteria So the question for this one is:
The car don't like the new chip/extra boost (so it seems) When you put your foot down hard it boosts up and then starts spluttering as if it is being starved of either fuel or air BUT if you gradually put your foot down it seems fine and will go on and on without any probs
A couple of the coil packs and plugs have been checked (drivers side) and they looked ok, the maf sensor has been cleaned and seems fine too. The engine check light goes out when the car has started!
Any ideas as to what it could?
Old 23 June 2007, 06:35 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

I would personally be checking ALL the coil packs, firstly only one of mine was cracked buta few months later i noticed hair line cracks on two more,
Replaced all of mine for new ones and also the plugs, runs sweet as now!!
Old 23 June 2007, 06:39 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

That is an option, but I am hoping that someone has had this problem and knows what the cullprit was!
Old 23 June 2007, 08:41 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

So, can anyone pin point it?
Old 23 June 2007, 08:49 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

maybe the higher boost is causing problems with your plugs.

You may need to change them to colder plugs... thats if the chip has upped the boost? they usually up it to about 1.1bar.

Gaz
Old 23 June 2007, 09:00 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Thank you Gaz for that
I have seen people say that it seems to be 9 times out of 10 its something to do with ingition! Any chance of fuel probs with it aswell?
Old 23 June 2007, 09:12 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

99.9999999% of problems when fitting an upgraded ECU/Chip are down to either Coil Packs, Plugs or dodgey Boost Control solenoid plumbing.
check all coil packs and regap the plug to 0.6mm. while their out, wrap a few layers of insulation tape around the coil pack tips and then refit the rubber boots.

If their not cracked it doesn't mean their working...I have an email somewhere from someone who had a misfire problem, coil packs looked fine but he changed them anyway....problem solved and he was well chuffed with end result.
Old 23 June 2007, 09:14 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Possibly, again, higher boost will want more fuel. At 1.1bar you will be close to maxing out the standard 380cc injectors and if the fuel pump was on its way out the slight drop in pressure may not be providing enough for the extra air. However I wouldnt have thought this would cause violent misfires as it will still burn just very lean.

You said it still revs all the way when only going part throttle but this wont make it hit full boost probably only 0.9bar which is about standard, Which does indicate the extra boost causing the problem. I would check it out in this order...

1)It could be fuel cut which is set at 18.5psi so look to see if the boost is spiking. Not too likely with the chip unless the restrictor has been removed from one of the pipes on the boost solenoid or oil contamination in the boost solenoid. Have you change the vacuum hoses on the solenoid? If not clean it out.

2)If the plugs are old and the wrong rating then the extra boost could cause this. This is obviously nothing to worry about just change the plugs to colder ones and gap correctly.

3)Could be fuel pump on its way out but would have thought it would throw a CEL and wouldnt be a big misfire but if it is this could cause major failure.

Im running a similar chip on standard injectors and intercooler and havent had any problems with fueling or plugs but have had fuel cut after removing the restricted pipe.

good luck with it.

Gaz
Old 23 June 2007, 09:40 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

same problem as i had when i fitted one of scotts chips,so i changed the coil packs and fitted a walbro fuel pump (dont know if it was related to the fuel pump but i was changing anyway) and that cured it.
check if you have any receipts for when the coil packs where last changed,mine has a full uk history and i couldnt find any receipt for them ever being changed.
new coil packs are a bit pricey but i managed to get some from a scrapey and he had about 10 engines in so i picked what looked to be the best ones, still a gamble but i got lucky and they work fine all for £40.
once you get it sorted you will love how the car drives with the polar performance chip.
Old 23 June 2007, 10:22 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for your comments and possibilities
I will be looking in to these asap
Thanks again.

Glen.
Old 23 June 2007, 11:05 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Like I mentioned earlier coil packs make a heap of difference, mines a 93 import so no idea how old the packs were but replacing them for new ones made all the difference imho.
God luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:31 AM
psbarham
Scooby Newbie

i'm the poor sod thats charged with sorting this problem for glen, thanks muchly for everyones input. what grade / model plugs are recomended for these sort of boosts, standard plugs with the gaps altered or is there another model that comes with this gap ?
Old 24 June 2007, 10:45 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

NGK PRF 7B

Gapped to 0.7mm I think? someone will confirm or do a search.

Gaz
Old 24 June 2007, 02:19 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul
Old 24 June 2007, 07:47 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

PFR6B's will be fine for this level of boost and gap em' to 0.7mm
PFR7's are only needed for 1.2/1.3bar and above TBH.
If coil packs are weak try gapping plugs to 0.6mm to see if it helps.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:02 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I have bought some PFR6B's off of Ebay today Will see what they will produce once there here and fitted
Old 24 June 2007, 09:46 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T@PolarPerformance
PFR6B's will be fine for this level of boost and gap em' to 0.7mm
PFR7's are only needed for 1.2/1.3bar and above TBH.
If coil packs are weak try gapping plugs to 0.6mm to see if it helps.
I was always told 7B's for imports? and modded imprezas?

dont imports have a higher compression ratio or something
Old 25 June 2007, 01:06 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Right, I just done an ECU reset on the car. Done it as one of the threads on here explains and as soon as I started the engine after releasing the accelerator the ECL went out and stayed out! Is it supposed to do it like that?
I then took it up the road and literally floored it. No problems and boosted up nicely s**t me m8 up mind you Turned around and made my way back, then it started with the juddering feeling