Notices

Rattle after engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2007, 02:55 AM
chrisdavidson152
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle after engine rebuild

Well I started my engine today after a rebuild and I forgot to put in power steering fluid and boy did the pump make a hell of a noise. I put in fluid and the noise went away.

I think I have now over filled it because the dipstick is all the way up to the top. The rattle came back but I am not sure if it’s the power steering pump or something else.

The engie runs fine apart from that and idles bang on 800rpm.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris..
Old 22 June 2007, 08:18 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Describe the rattle. RPM, type of rattle, where is it coming from, what was replaced in the build, what caused the engine to fail? etc etc
Old 22 June 2007, 08:23 AM
steveorangewrx
Scooby Regular

I doubt that is anything to do with ps fluid level. Agree with chris, what rpm etc... is the clutch plate in the correct way around? The clutch will operate but rattles like mad, I fixed this for someone once, very embarressing for them!!
Old 22 June 2007, 10:45 AM
chrisdavidson152
Scooby Regular

It's not a 'loud' rattle ie. The noise my big end was making before the rebuild. It’s a light rattle not a loud bang. On idle its silent, sound nice actually and it increases in frequency with revs and only get a little louder with revs, its only starts over 1500rpm. I should say it’s not the boost solenoid click.

I can't really tell where it’s coming from, same with the power steering pump when it was empty, I just could not tell.

I just replaced the short block on the rebuild as I had big end failure. Piston #1 bearing had 'bonded' itself to the crank. All the heads, pumps, etc were ok.

I think the clutch plate is on the right way. I have had a drive about the street and it was ok. I used the workshop manual to check as I forgot which way it came off. If I remember right it only wants to fit on one way because of the protruding springs.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers Chris..
Old 22 June 2007, 10:46 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a mechanics stethascope from a motor factors or Machine Mart etc. Should help locate the noise.
JohnD
Old 23 June 2007, 06:21 PM
chrisdavidson152
Scooby Regular

I done an oil change and no change in the noise. I took the fan belt off to rule out the powersteering pump and it was still there.

I was thinking when first block went it was the bearing that was closest to the oil pump that died. Is it possible that its picked up some debris through the pickup and got stuck in the pump or that the pump might be failing which in turn caused the big end to fail.

Cheers Chris..
Old 23 June 2007, 07:24 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Highly possible. Especially if you re-used the old oil pump and modine oil cooler. Bits of the big end most likely got jammed in these areas causing a loss in pressure. This would increase oil temperature and definitly cause the engine to fail.
Old 23 June 2007, 07:31 PM
chrisdavidson152
Scooby Regular

I got a new oil cooler on the new block but used my old oil pump. So it sounds like the oil pump could be fecked? I will take off the timing belt cover and see if it gets louder, when I get the first chance.

Cheers