Old 08 June 2007, 01:25 PM
rks275
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Servicing

Hi all,

am just curious how much of the service of the impreza can be done DIY,

as in the past with all of my cars I have done as much work as possible myself,

has anyone got any info on the basics of servicing, changing the oil filter? Changing coolant, is there any specific way to drain and re-fill to avoid getting an airlock in the system,is the fuel filter easy to get to? also how hard is it to change the spark plugs? with the air filter is a pipercross foam filter recommended?

As i'd like to do a service myself, i can also find out more about the car.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:34 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Can be quite scary looking at a subaru engine for the first time, but all the parts you mention are easy to change for any home mechanic.

Fuel filter is probably the easiest thing the change Small black pot next to the passenger suspension turret.

Coolant is easy but do make sure you get any airlocks out there is a bleed valve for the coolant.

First time for spark plugs might take you about 1.5 hours, just make sure to have the right length extension for your ratchet.

you will get plenty of help from the guys on here if you get stuck.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:37 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

its just like normal car just things in different places. Dont be scared and if you do get stuck asx SSCJAY says plenty of people on here can give you advice
Old 08 June 2007, 08:12 PM
rks275
Scooby Regular

excellent stuff! just a lot of people have put me off working on it myself since i've got it with comments about cost of a service and the amount of work it is because of the flat four, etc etc

the only thing that im really concerned about is changing the plugs, and the amount of coolant hoses is getting me a bit concerned about getting an airlock!
Old 08 June 2007, 11:22 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs are a ******* the first time you do them. My advice would be; if something looks like it needs moving to make the job easier, then move it - don't struggle. Goes for pretty much any job on a Scooby. E.g. at first you might be wary of removing the intercooler to get at stuff. Just do it and get used to it, it makes things a lot more straightforward. For plug access, take off the airbox and washer tank as a minimum. Battery optional.