Notices

Smoked ever since i rebuild engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2007, 06:57 PM
fujack103
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoked ever since i rebuild engine!!!

Hi all, i rebuilt my engine using arias piston with the ring gap set for high boost/nitros and while it was out i renewed the valve stem seal fitted a vf34 but ever since i did this sometimes it smokes on start up and other times it dont but now its smoking on tick over after about a minute and when i rev it it leaves about a 4 foot sqaure smoke cloud! it does it more if i was deaccelerating down a hill then accelerating at the bottom. Does anyone know what could be the course cos im going to go mad with this car take it to a field and burn it out while laughing sterically if not!!!
Old 08 June 2007, 07:10 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Did you measure the pistons individually and check that bore/piston clearance was in spec?
Old 08 June 2007, 09:00 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Was the turbo new? Sounds like a shot bearing in the turbo as I had this problem on a RS Turbo I had. Could be oil escaping into the exhaust through the turbo.
Old 09 June 2007, 07:43 AM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As above whats it like on over run.
Old 09 June 2007, 04:22 PM
fujack
Scooby Regular

yes the turbo was new and on over run i can see smoke in the re veiw mirror getting blown up over the boot but not all the time. I did take the exhaust manifold off and there was signs of oil in the exhaust port running down from the valve head so i dont know if it is turbo ,valve stem seals (which i changed) or pistons. what would make it smoke tho sometimes and not others on start up?
Old 09 June 2007, 04:25 PM
fujack
Scooby Regular

Sorry mark, When i had it bored the bores were matched to the pistons by a company that i have no doubt in there work.
Old 09 June 2007, 04:53 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

First thing would be to see what colour smoke it is !

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2007, 06:41 PM
fujack
Scooby Regular

I know what colour smoke it is .... ITS BLUE!!
Now it seems like i have a tappet gone cos i pulled up last night and there was a very fast rattle noise. pick the revs up and it goes.

My veiw of subarus have changed alot since i had this car and wish i keep my old 325i as i could hammer that 6 cylinder without any bother at all but as for these pissy micky mouse engines i thinkn they should be left standard and driven by old men with peaked caps!!
Old 13 June 2007, 06:58 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

If it's the turbo then the oil would have to be coming out of the blower side, have you checked your intercooler / Inlet manifold for lots of Oil?,

Also wondering why you have gone for High Boost/Nitrous ring gap when you are only running a VF34?

Was the engine compression tested before you put it in?

Just things I would check.
Old 16 June 2007, 02:11 AM
fujack
Scooby Regular

Well i was asked what boost i was running and at the time i didnt know what it would be so they said will it be above standard? I told them yes it will be above standard so thats the ring gap they gave me. and as for the oil in the intake side, its bone dry all the way to the manifold. No tonight apart from the tap tap tap sound i have there's a bad hesitation when i pull off and she dont idle well... oh and it smokes loads now when idling but it still only sometimes smokes when i start up but not others. This cars really getting on my **** i cant wait to get rid of it. It looks good drives well but i know its not going to last! its the only car i've every had that i cant listen to the stereo when driving cos im waiting for someting to go bang or fall off, now where's the enjoyment in that?