Notices

Samco's make a difference or not?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 01:30 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Samco's make a difference or not?

My MY99 Uk Turbo is due in for a remap in about 2 weeks time. The spec will be:-

forged pistons
billet rods
green panel filter
3" downpipe/de-cat
2.5" ninja system
uprated fuel pump
uprated oil pump
ported and wrapped headers and uppipe
TD05 16g

I will still be using the stock TMIC though, due to lack of funds. Would adding a set of Samco turbo hoses help with anything or enable me to achieve more power/torque when I get it remapped??

Cheers
Old 31 May 2007, 01:33 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand your lack of funds but you are watsing money with the std TMIC and remap. I'd find the funds and remap after the FMIC is fitted.

F
Old 31 May 2007, 02:07 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally don't see them as perfomance enhancing in anyway.

They are made to look good, and be a lot more durable than standard rubber hoses that perish over time. They can hold a lot more pressure, but it will be well over any psi a turbo would produce.

If you have them crappy flexi hose things on your tmic, instead of an ally Y pipe, then I would imagine the samco's will flow better then them.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:01 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
I understand your lack of funds but you are watsing money with the std TMIC and remap. I'd find the funds and remap after the FMIC is fitted.

F
I do know you mean, and have considered this for a long time. The situation is; I have owned the car for a couple of months now, as I bought it off a friend cheap, with a fooked turbo. I have not yet driven it properly/legally as I could not insure it for resonable money until im 21 (mid-June). I have recently bought a brand new TD05 and ported headers, which are being fitted at the moment. So the remap is booked for 20th June, which is my payday in June and a few days after my 21st. The car already has Ecutek, so the remap is relatively cheap anyway. Once it has been done, I can add a FMIC within the next few months or so, and have the map slightly tweaked to take this into account.

I have been informed by a number of people with extensive knowledge of Subaru engine's, that I should be able to run around 320bhp, safely using the stock TMIC unitl I can afford a FMIC.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:04 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I personally don't see them as perfomance enhancing in anyway.

They are made to look good, and be a lot more durable than standard rubber hoses that perish over time. They can hold a lot more pressure, but it will be well over any psi a turbo would produce.

If you have them crappy flexi hose things on your tmic, instead of an ally Y pipe, then I would imagine the samco's will flow better then them.
To be honest, Im not sure whether I have the ally Y pipe, or the flexi hoses, anybody know what is generally fitted to the MY99 UK Turbo's??

Cheers
Old 31 May 2007, 04:41 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt bother with FMIC if it's going to be a daily driver, a newage STi TMIC will work just fine, be easier to fit and save you a few quid.
Old 31 May 2007, 05:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

When I was round at Andy Forrest's a few weeks back we had the following conversation :

Andy Mc : Do Samco hoses improve performance or are they mainly bling ?

Andy F : Mainly bling.

A man of few words.

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2007, 05:55 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Main benefit of the Samcos and the like is that they won't perish or split as easily, especially on a tuned motor.

Main drawback with the standard "2000 Turbo" TMIC may be the horrible plastic abortion that sits under the TMIC and splits the flow from the turbo outlet pipe into the TMIC. Flow gains can be had by switching that out for a Samco or similar.

See here - Browser Warning

ISTR that the newage cars have better pipework.
Old 31 May 2007, 07:13 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Main benefit of the Samcos and the like is that they won't perish or split as easily, especially on a tuned motor.

Main drawback with the standard "2000 Turbo" TMIC may be the horrible plastic abortion that sits under the TMIC and splits the flow from the turbo outlet pipe into the TMIC. Flow gains can be had by switching that out for a Samco or similar.

I think this is about right.

My car has an 04 STi intercooler and Andy mentioned that the hoses that come with it are v good. Certainly, Samco's will last better than WRX or uk classic hoses.
Old 01 June 2007, 09:05 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo

Right, so adding a set of Samco's would benefit the flow, and therefore power of my setup?? Are there any other options??
Old 01 June 2007, 05:53 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by steve0
Right, so adding a set of Samco's would benefit the flow, and therefore power of my setup?? Are there any other options??
Hi Steve

You will be running more boost after the re-map, the PPP replace these as part of the upgrade on the MY99.
The hard black plastic pipes tend to split, you will need 3 pipes in all, the Y pipe under the intercooler, make sure it does not rub on the gear box stabiliser mount when fitted. Pipe from intercooler to the throttle body and pipe from the dump valve. Get good quality Samco pipes, they are more expensive than the e-bay ones, but will not let you down.
The topmount should be ok for anything under 300BHP but take advice from the mapper.
Old 04 June 2007, 08:07 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Right, well with regard to power, the mapper im using think's I should be able to see 320bhp using the stock MY99 TMIC.

I am rather skint at the moment though, so, do I NEED to get the Samco's before the re-map?? Couldn't I just get it remapped, and then buy the Samco's next month and add them?? Or would I need to have the map tweaked further once the Samco's are added??

Cheers
Old 04 June 2007, 12:43 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve0
Right, well with regard to power, the mapper im using think's I should be able to see 320bhp using the stock MY99 TMIC.

I am rather skint at the moment though, so, do I NEED to get the Samco's before the re-map?? Couldn't I just get it remapped, and then buy the Samco's next month and add them?? Or would I need to have the map tweaked further once the Samco's are added??

Cheers
Ideally the car is it's final state when mapped. However, i would think you'd be ok with Samcos since they won't make much difference in that sense.

Best to do the whole lot next month - patience !!