At the end of my Tether :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2007, 02:22 PM
Spinky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At the end of my Tether :(

Hi peeps,

I'm in need of a bit of techy help as ive had a problem since i bought the car 3 months ago and cant get to the bottom of this problem, n dont have that much knowledge of the flat four engine.

The story goes:

When i try and give it a little poke, it boosts ok but then, im guessing the ecu cuts the engine to idle even if you have your foot flat to the floor and the rev needle goes to nil???

If you change from the gear your in to neutral or to another gear it will bring back the revs and the throttle???

The car is running about .6-.7 bar could anyone shed any light on this as its doing my head in

Oh and the car is a Legacy twin GT with the rex engine.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks All
Old 28 May 2007, 05:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcom to Scoobynet firstly.

I do not have the answer, but I suggest you say where you are in the country as I'm sure someone can steer you to someone with the experience to sort out the issue which sounds all sensor/wire related to me.

Graham.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:18 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

From what you say about changing gear it could possibly be the neutral position switch sensor in the gearbox. I believe it's supposed to detect gear changes and sort the fuelling out. A fault with this should show itself in the ECU diagnostics.

Does this happen in every gear, and does it happen regardless of whether you squeeze the throttle gently or boot it. Is it rev-range related at all, only on boost etc. These details may help someone to identify if it's fuel cut etc.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:38 PM
Spinky
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by funkyspider
From what you say about changing gear it could possibly be the neutral position switch sensor in the gearbox. I believe it's supposed to detect gear changes and sort the fuelling out. A fault with this should show itself in the ECU diagnostics.

Does this happen in every gear, and does it happen regardless of whether you squeeze the throttle gently or boot it. Is it rev-range related at all, only on boost etc. These details may help someone to identify if it's fuel cut etc.
I only notice it in 3rd and 4rth as these tend to be the gears when i want to boot it and overtake and its generly at 3 and above thousand revs, so i would say only on boost yes.

Done ECU test and it came back all fine??? mmm more puzzled??
I do have an airflow meter on wich when turned of and the plug into air filter unplugged is fine turn it on and the engine runs bad when unplugged, strting to think it could be this?? what do you think?
Thanks guys for your help so far im in Yorkshire btw
Old 29 May 2007, 12:19 AM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with my 06 plate WRX, shortly after i took delivery. Turned out to be a small rubber hose that bleeds off excess air from the turbocharger.

When i put the pedal to the metal, the revs would rise to about 4,500 to 5,000 then i'd get a shunt in the back as the power died, the ECU kicked into safe mode and i got a warning on the dash.

Scoobyclinic had a look at the ECU and found some error messages but no abnormal operation...they didn't have the full software suite to diagnose the problem (to be fair).

My local Scooby dealer sorted for me after i challenged the company i bought it from and they agreed to pay for it to be sorted.

Hope this helps.