lost all water....Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 11:25 AM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost all water....Please help!!

Morning

Please help me if you can, I was driving my scooby back from Norwich late last night, and when still on the spot I could notice a small about of light colored smoke coming from my back box.

When I got back to stevenage, just about to pull into my road, I suddenly see the temp niddle rising to places it hasn’t been for a while (since I replaced cracked rad.) By this time it was far too late and dark to be searching for a fault.

This morning I have been out to the car, and looked in both water tanks, and see hardly any signs of water what could the problem be?? I have this morning filled her with water (both tanks) let the car run and checked temp gauge everything is as normal.

I’m really hoping it’s not the head gasket but that’s the only thing I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas, also wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to take the car in or around the Hertfordshire area.

Many Thanks
Pablo
Old 27 May 2007, 12:26 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

suonds like head gasket to me mate, what you doing in our city
Old 27 May 2007, 12:45 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

thats what I was thinking, I have family up that way, was just a family do, only there for a few hours tho
Old 27 May 2007, 02:04 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

I take it your not sure how much water was in there to begin with?
If you lost a massive amount of water due to the head gasket failing I would expect your oil level to have risen or at least show sighs of having water in the oil.

Pressure test the water system see if that shows any problems, other things to look for if the gasket is failing is the temp gauge will rise from cold much faster than normal and you may bubbles in the header tank.

I am hoping you may have just run low on water,
Old 27 May 2007, 04:18 PM
mart94wrx
Scooby Regular

Question Water Lost

Hi,
Head Gasket is always the answer on this forum, and although a good shout, is worst case scenario. Check usual hoses for leaks (top hose is favourite) also rad. Have you changed cam belt recently ? Last time I did mine, I started losing water badly soon after (about a week) and turned out to be the water pump, which was very difficult to diagnose - I was only sure it was this after taking it off. Water could be seen running from the bottom of the left hand side of the engine when viewing from the front. It's also worth remembering that the system needs to be full for it to operate properly - once you lose some water, you can start to get all sorts of symptoms pointing to all sorts of problems - head gasket included. However, if you do lose a fair amount of water and continue to run the engine, with the gauge running towards the red for ANY lenth of time, this will damage the head gaskets for sure.

Hope you get it sorted soon,
Mart.
Old 28 May 2007, 08:37 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-ink*
I take it your not sure how much water was in there to begin with?
If you lost a massive amount of water due to the head gasket failing I would expect your oil level to have risen or at least show sighs of having water in the oil.

Pressure test the water system see if that shows any problems, other things to look for if the gasket is failing is the temp gauge will rise from cold much faster than normal and you may bubbles in the header tank.

I am hoping you may have just run low on water,
Thanks for helping.

I had checked my oil and water levels that morning before I set off, all levels where fine, whats the best way to pressure test the water system is that something I can do myself or would I have to take it into a garage??

Thanks again for your help
Old 28 May 2007, 08:41 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart94wrx
Hi,
Head Gasket is always the answer on this forum, and although a good shout, is worst case scenario. Check usual hoses for leaks (top hose is favourite) also rad. Have you changed cam belt recently ? Last time I did mine, I started losing water badly soon after (about a week) and turned out to be the water pump, which was very difficult to diagnose - I was only sure it was this after taking it off. Water could be seen running from the bottom of the left hand side of the engine when viewing from the front. It's also worth remembering that the system needs to be full for it to operate properly - once you lose some water, you can start to get all sorts of symptoms pointing to all sorts of problems - head gasket included. However, if you do lose a fair amount of water and continue to run the engine, with the gauge running towards the red for ANY lenth of time, this will damage the head gaskets for sure.

Hope you get it sorted soon,
Mart.
Thanks for your help.

I will start to check the hoses at some point this week, havent had much time over the bank holiday weekend, I have replaced the rad not so long ago due to a water leak. I have also had the cambelt replaced 2-3 weeks ago? if the water pump fails would this course water to run from the exhurst?

Whats the best way to test the water pump??

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2007, 08:51 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pablo1981uk
Thanks for helping.

I had checked my oil and water levels that morning before I set off, all levels where fine, whats the best way to pressure test the water system is that something I can do myself or would I have to take it into a garage??

I assume there was No coolant loss before you checked the levels that Morning?

Its very simple and an easy mistake. Are you 100% sure that you refitted the caps properly.

The system cam be checked with a pressure tester. can be bought,but probably cheaper to get a local garage to do it.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:35 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits

Its very simple and an easy mistake. Are you 100% sure that you refitted the caps properly.

The system cam be checked with a pressure tester. can be bought,but probably cheaper to get a local garage to do it.
Yeah Im sure all caps where fitted and no coolant loss, I have just had a quick look outside my house, and theres no signs of water and oil mixing, but still alot of what seems like a water white cloud coming from the exhurst, once again now oil coming from the rear
Old 28 May 2007, 09:39 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Pablo1981uk
Yeah Im sure all caps where fitted and no coolant loss, I have just had a quick look outside my house, and theres no signs of water and oil mixing, but still alot of what seems like a water white cloud coming from the exhurst, once again now oil coming from the rear

Does sound like head gasget then
Old 28 May 2007, 09:42 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits

Yeah Im sure all caps where fitted and no coolant loss, I have just had a quick look outside my house, and theres no signs of water and oil mixing, but still alot of what seems like a water white cloud coming from the exhurst, once again no oil coming from the rear
Old 28 May 2007, 09:44 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Turbotits

Do you know of anyone in hertfordshire that I could take my beloved scooby into??

Some people are saying the water pump but its alittle difficult to see when everything is so wet.

Many Thanks
Pablo
Old 31 May 2007, 07:18 PM
Pablo1981uk
Scooby Regular

Had the scooby pressure tested yesterday....Good news all seems ok, small leak from the water pump So Im hoping thats the only place the water is leaking, means another new Cambelt, water pump, cambelt covers, new pully, and a set of front breaks. Should have it back some time next week.