Notices

bioethanol

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 10:45 AM
za-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bioethanol

I have been reviewing the information re this fuel, which is only available at limited morrisons forecourts but is expected to be rolled out as it becomes more popular. The only car company that has exploited this is saab, with its bio-power cars. If you believe what they claim, the Bioethanol E85 (104RON), gives about 20% more power and torque but reduced emmissions by around 50-70%. Sounds too good to be true.

The question, if you havent already guessed it, has anyone looking into using this on a scoob. As I run Gems I am sure I could get it mapped for the different fuel, but is there any mods to the engine required to make this work, different valves, etc

If anyone has looked into this i would like to hear your conclusions

cheers
Za
Old 21 May 2007, 01:05 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure that you need to have some engine work done. The main problem being the ethanol reacts with some of the materials used in the fueling system of mainstrean cars, so I guess anything from the rubber pipes and seals to injectors could need changing. There have been reports from people on hear using Methanol than the injectors have been damaged and fuel floats have been eaten away at. Both problems are easily solvable but bear them in mind before contemplating it.
Personally I'd switch to bioethanol tomorrow if:
1. I could get it locally and
2. someone new which bits need replacing on a subaru to make it work.

I'd happily pay £1.20/liter for it if I could be sure it was being made in the western world without a penny going to the arab states.