Notices

MY00 Power Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2007, 11:06 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 Power Reduction

My MY00 Classic has developed a strange fault. While out for a drive the other day all appeared normal, then without warning I pulled out to overtake and it was immediately obvious there much less power than usual. The situation continued and I got home with a lot less power. I switched the car off for an hour and went back out to try and find the reason. i set off to test drive and all was back to normal, i.e. back to full power. I did an ecu check and reset with nothing showing up.

While out today the same thing happened. Again it appeared to be cured by switching the thing off and then back on again. I tried an ecu check with still no fault code shown. All appears to be fine for many miles (50+) then without warning a power cut that gets reset by the ignition switch.

There is reference to a similar fault with another member but no resolution is given. I have sent a PM but so far no reply.

Any ideas?
Old 21 May 2007, 12:56 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

How would a failing Lamda sensor manifest itself?
Old 21 May 2007, 01:46 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

my car was doing this too, is it only in 2nd gear? if so after a few searches ive read its quite common on MY99 and 00's its something to do with emissions reg's and also a drive by noise tests or something? The other reasoning is to save stress on the gearbox on full boost in 2nd.Way round it is drop from 3rd to 2nd and floor it or blip the throttle before giving it full boot in 2nd

Hopefully that should put your mind at ease, it did with me, i also changed my MAF sensor just to be on the safe side, but that was because i bought the car with a foam induction kit on and i had no receipts of it being changed before
Old 21 May 2007, 01:59 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

My car does it in every gear at any throttle position. As I say once it has started the only way to clear it is to switch off the ignition then starting the engine again. There doesn't appear to be any given circumstances that cause the problem. Although it never happens when your on power, i.e. it doesn't set off on full boost then drop the power as the revs rise. I can bw driving on and off the throttle, allowing the boost to build then backing off. Then I press the throttle and we are on reduced power.

Hope this makes sense.

I fitted a new MAF and cleaned out the boost solanoid a month or so ago because of other issues.